Stuck Fermentation - forgot to aerate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyweir

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read some of the previous posts on stuck ferm, but mine is alittle different. I've brewed a few batches successfully, but this time I screwed up. I started a "brewer's Best" oatmeal stout on Sunday and it just hit me while reading a post about aeration - that I forgot to aerate. I usually just rock the bucket for 5 min and that seems to get it done on past batches.

Well - my ferm started pretty heavy within 24 hours, but then by 48 hours it was stuck - No activity still today. Satelite fermenter OG - 1.075, currently @ 1.040.

What are my options? Can I swirl aerate this early without damaging the flavor? I am going to adjust the temp for a few days - currently low to mid 60's. IF it doesn't restart by this weekend (1 week), I'm thinking I'll rack it / make starter & repitch. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Great resource, thanks for the link!

I'm gonna give it some time & warm it up first. Think I may try to aerate first, then if nothing happens by the weekend, I'll make up a new starter.

Yours is a fairly big beer. I would say, make a well aerated yeast starter and dump in it into the fermenter carefully if it is truly stuck after a week.

I would just use some properly hydrated dry yeast. Dry yeast doesn't need any aeration so they should finish the job. I def wouldn't aerate it now.

I always like to have some dry yeast on-hand for just this type of thing.

Sounds like the general concensus is a starter... Need some yeast now - Oh well, I needed an excuse to make a trip to the brewers supply store anyway!!! Have my eye on a maiboch & Imperial Pale Ale!

Thanks to all, Bottoms up!

You know what might work, just shake up the fermenter, add maybe 8 oz of sugar, aerate a little and warm it up slowly. I bet the yeast wake up and take off. I know this from experience

Back