Stuck fermentation after boiling day after mash...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugzz819

Reaction score
Ok, so I had brewed a batch (fairly close to exact recipe but using Vienna as the base) of Biermuncher's Guiness clone on 2/21 hoping for a quick turn around for St Patty's day. Mash went smoothly at 154/155 for an hour, however, shortly into the boil I ran out of propane :drunk: and it was too late to go get the tank filled. I covered it and let it sit outside (Probably in the mid to upper 40s at that point here) until the next day when I could get some gas. Did the boil the next day and pitched Notty. O.G. was 1.063. Got krausen and airlock activity for a few days and then nothing, however I just assumed the Notty had done a quick job as usual. Ended up having a different batch of stout on tap for the holiday so I let it sit in primary until today (almost 5 weeks later) when I finally got around to brewing again and needed the fermenter. Stupid move, I assumed after 5 weeks it would be done so I started transferring to keg and took my hydrometer sample then. 1.040...wtf?!?! Figuring the batch was already being siphoned and I really needed the fermenter for the batch that was boiling, I just finished the transfer and pitched some rehydrated Windsor yeast (I know I know, sadly it was the only packet of yeast I had because I've been avoiding it hahaha) into the keg. I don't have any open fermenters and now don't have a beer for the keg anyway so I went with it. The hydrometer works and was fine for the batch I just brewed so it's not that. Any thoughts on what may have gone wrong, or other suggestions for salvaging this batch? Sadly the sample tasted great but it's stuck at about 3% lol. Thanks in advance!:mug:

Back