Stuck Disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namesake_Brewery

Reaction score
I my last cleaning of my kegs it is possible that I or my girlfriend placed the wrong in/out posts on the wrong side. No issues getting the disconnects on or while dispensing. How the I have one keg I can't get either the gas or liquid disconnects off the post and on I can't get the liquid disconnect off. I have tried spraying everything down with PBW, star-san. I have tried prying on them slightly (not wanting to cause any damage by really going to work on it), so I have come to everyone here.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the removed? I dont care if I break the disconnects and have to buy new. I just now have 2 of my 9 kegs that are not usable.

Thank you,

I find mine quite hard to disconnect. I have once, sat on the keg, got two hands on the disconnect and turned, twisted and rocked, until it came off. It was a struggle but I eventually got it off without tools or destroying the fitting.

At least one set of spares would be a good idea to have on hand anyway.

Biggest PITA!!! This has happened to me twice. The first time I was able to pry it off with my hands. The 2nd time I had to disconnect the post, and bring to a buddy who had a vice. Came off in no time.

Good luck!

Highly suggest replacing that QD. Did the same thing while rushing to keg a batch while my son was napping. Was finally able to manhandle it off, tried to reuse the QD but ended up with a leak that cost me an entire 20 pound CO2 tank. I think I ended up using pliers, based on the result I would not recommend that approach. YMMV.

I use an adjustable wrench to pry the disconnect off. Open the jaws wide enough to get around the QD and place it so that the lid can be used as the fulcrum (pivot) point. The gas post is notched.

I've never had one completely seize up on me, but I've noticed some of the newer ball lock kegs fit quite a bit tighter than the old ones. I also have one set of disconnects that fit very tight compared to older ones.

Try removing the disconnect core. Just use a large flat bladed screwdriver on the top of the disconnect, and remove the innards (threaded cap, spring, poppet needle). Then spray some Star San into the hole and try twisting back and forth while pulling up. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with vegetable oil instead of Star San.

Future tip, use keg lube on your posts and it'll help keep things from seizing. I even spread a little on the post threads as insurance against galling.

P.S. My last resort option would be to pour boiling water over the disconnect. Then try twisting and pulling. The plastic should expand more than the metal post. Obviously, take care not to burn yourself from splashing or grabbing a hot post.

My thought is the o ring is catching. You could try getting some keg lube underneath.

I use an adjustable wrench to pry the disconnect off. Open the jaws wide enough to get around the QD and place it so that the lid can be used as the fulcrum (pivot) point. The gas post is notched.

^^this. It works well.

Back