Stuck at 1.038, already re-pitched twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grapetree3

Reaction score
1) beer was pitched with WyeYeast California Lager at 1.050 measured on refractometer.
2) beer was transferred to secondary after two weeks. No measurement was taken at this time *yes I know that is bad. Yes I know I shouldn't have taken it off the yeast unless I knew it was done.*
3) realized my mistake. Bought and pitched a second bag of WyeYeast California Lager. Bought a hydrometer. Hydrometer reads 1.030, refractometer reads 1.038. One week later, no change to either reading.
4) bought a safale dry yeast. Pitched according to instructions. One week later, same measurements.

Temperature has been within limits of the yeasts the whole time.

What's going on here? The density indicates we still have sugar. Why aren't either of the two doses of yeast I gave it after transferring eating that sugar?

Unusual aspects of this recipe are high rye content, and it spent a couple of weeks on oak chips.

The most likely answer is that you have a bunch of unfermentable sugar. What temperature was your mash?

FWIW, you should use a hydrometer to measure once fermentation has started - the refractometer readings will be off because of the alcohol. You can use a correction calculator but it's hard to be accurate - much easier to use a hydrometer.

The recipe was 4 gallons water, 3lbs flaked corn, 4lbs rye malt, 1 lb 2 row pilsner. Mashed all grains in single bag at 153F. Stayed at that temperature for about a half hour but then my attention lapsed and the second half hour of mash peaked at 168F. Removed from heat and cooled back down to 153F before removing and squeezing out the grain.

Mashing appears to be problem. Temperature was high for rye and in 30 minutes, Pilsner malt couldn’t finish the job. Do a iodine test to verify. Add some corn sugar to start fermentation and boost alcohol, I doubt it’ll finish lower.

I have had success with a similar recipe before, that was 2lb flaked corn, 2lb rye malt and 3lb Pilsner LME. I was able to keep the mash temperature for the grains between 150-155F for an hour, then I added the LME.
Should I attempt the 4 / 3 /1 all grain bill again, paying extra attention to the mash temperature, or should I dial back on the adjuncts next time?
Also, is there anything I can do to rescue the beer I have? An enzyme or something like that?

I would try just 1 lb of corn, or 2 lb would be the absolute most. Recipe should be okay otherwise. Yes, pay closer attention to your mash temperature so that it doesn’t rise beyond the mid 150s F.

For this batch… enzymes could help, not sure whether it would result in good beer or not, but might be worth a try. I’ve not really done this, besides Beano, which tends to ferment to dryness and overcarbonate so maybe try something other than that.

How does it taste? If it is not drinkable, you can add glucoamylase to the fermenter. This will cut up all the unfermentable sugars into simple ones, and the yeast should ferment it down to dry (~1.000 or lower). I saved a pils that way. A different beer than what I planned, but far better than the sweet mess that it was.

I'm not sure, but maybe a diastaticus?
Or make a very very dry beer and mix them?

And if all else fails:
Use for beer shandy, using soda water instead of 7 up?
Or for cooking. I bet you can make some awesome stews with it ;)

Add some amylase enzyme to the fermentor and let it work on the wort. I had a temp gauge which was off, this worked OK on fixing a similar non-fermentable wort issue.

Attachments

• 58409FCF-62A6-4B13-825D-BA55F2D8C1D9.jpeg
    58409FCF-62A6-4B13-825D-BA55F2D8C1D9.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Back