Stuck at 1.020 FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masedigs

Reaction score
I have had my last two batches bottom out at 1.020 in terms of a final gravity reading. They are both still in the primary. One is a smoked porter (og was 1.062) and the other is a bourbon barrel porter (og was 1.065). I hope to transfer the bourbon barrel porter to secondary in the next couple of days for a whiskey/wood chip addition and hope to bottle the smoked porter from the primary in about two weeks. I think these FG readings are passable, but was hoping for a little more "oomph" when all is said and done. I am fermenting between 65 and 75 degrees (house temp given the season). Is there anything I can do to lower these FG readings?

I am assuming you are brewing with extract. Pretty common for them to finish at 1.020 especially if you didn't oxygenate and/or pitch the proper amount of yeast. You could try making a starter and pitch it at high krausen and see if you could get a few more points. At least they are both Porters which I prefer on the higher side. I just did a 1.071 stout that finished at 1.018. Taste your beer and see if you like it before chasing a "number".

Thanks, Phunhog, these are extract batches. I tried a yeast starter with the bourbon barrel porter, with the thought that it would help out in the overall fermentation process. I am thinking of going partial mash or AG in the future, especially if extract recipes really are expected to bottom out at this higher FG! You mention that it may be an issue of not pitching the proper amount of yeast. How would you suggest that I figure how much yeast to pitch in the future? Thanks for the feedback thus far...

I am assuming you are brewing with extract. Pretty common for them to finish at 1.020

This myth must die. Just throwing the "Extracts stop at 1.020" out there as an explanation does nothing to help the OP determine his problem. It is not the extract. I have done almost 40 brews and have never had one stop at 1.020. I have had extract brews finish as low as 1.004 (Saision) and most finish where they should according to my brew software.

It most likely is something else.It could be the recipe, lack of proper aeration, a yeast problem, temp control, etc.

Give us some more info about the brew and maybe we can help you figure it out.

I have the same problem with my latest extract brew,a Burton ale. OG 1.065,2nd week,down to 1.020. Yesterday,week 3,still 1.020. First time I ever had this problem. I poured the chilled wort through a fine mesh strainer,dito with top off water. Stirred vigorously with my paddle for 5 minutes after that.
It gave the blow off a real workout for 4 days before slowing down. I had a dark tee shirt over the FV,then swirled the FV around to rouse some yeast & placed a fleece lined CPO over it as well. I'm hoping I got it going again,but it doesn't look too promising at this point.

This myth must die. Just throwing the "Extracts stop at 1.020" out there as an explanation does nothing to help the OP determine his problem. It is not the extract. I have done almost 40 brews and have never had one stop at 1.020. I have had extract brews finish as low as 1.004 (Saision) and most finish where they should according to my brew software.

I've done a LOT of extract brews- certainly more than 40- and I had many that had an OG of 1.060 or higher that indeed DID end at 1.020. Oftentimes, it IS the extract or other ingredients. It wasn't a "myth" in my case, I assure you. I do know how to manage yeast, starters, aeration, temperature control, and so on.

Anyway, if it stays at 1.020 and doesn't budge, it'll be fine.

As for myself,it's my first time encountering this problem. I wanted to make sure it's done all it can before giving it time to settle out more & bottle. I spent the most money on this batch than my other brews,so I def want it to be right.

Thanks, Phunhog, these are extract batches. I tried a yeast starter with the bourbon barrel porter, with the thought that it would help out in the overall fermentation process. I am thinking of going partial mash or AG in the future, especially if extract recipes really are expected to bottom out at this higher FG! You mention that it may be an issue of not pitching the proper amount of yeast. How would you suggest that I figure how much yeast to pitch in the future? Thanks for the feedback thus far...

I use http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html It will help you determine the proper yeast pitching rate.

I recently had 2 batches in a row with this problem, both batches using LME.
While it is certainly not a rule that extract beers stop at 1.020, it seems to be the case a lot of times. There are numerous discussions on here with brewers' accounts of this problem as well.

Besides the two batches that recently had this issue (the recipe was for a Best Bitter so I definitely consider the FG an issue since it finished cloyingly high) many of my extract batches finish close to 1.020.

If I do a partial mash, I can get it down closer to my target FG. It just seems to be a problem with extract, especially LME, that the beer finishes high. I fail to believe it is solely based on aeration, fermentation temps, and/or pitch rates, especially when a marked difference in FG is noted between an Extract recipe and the same recipe converted to a Partial mash under similar fermentation conditions. I'm talking several gravity points difference. In that case, it's definitely the extract.

I was just wondering about that. I usually brew with one 1.7kg can of LME,& 3lbs of plain DME with hops,& they all got down to 1.009-1.012FG. This time,for a Burton ale,I used two cans of LME with the 3 lbs of DME as well. So I'm wondering if too much LME in a batch with a significant amount of un-fermentables would be the culprit? I also used four 7g ale yeast packets re-hydrated. Blow off lasted 4 days.

I have had my last two batches bottom out at 1.020 in terms of a final gravity reading. They are both still in the primary. One is a smoked porter (og was 1.062) and the other is a bourbon barrel porter (og was 1.065). I hope to transfer the bourbon barrel porter to secondary in the next couple of days for a whiskey/wood chip addition and hope to bottle the smoked porter from the primary in about two weeks. I think these FG readings are passable, but was hoping for a little more "oomph" when all is said and done. I am fermenting between 65 and 75 degrees (house temp given the season). Is there anything I can do to lower these FG readings?

Can you post the exact recipe, brand, amout and process? That would help.

I was just wondering about that. I usually brew with one 1.7kg can of LME,& 3lbs of plain DME with hops,& they all got down to 1.009-1.012FG. This time,for a Burton ale,I used two cans of LME with the 3 lbs of DME as well. So I'm wondering if too much LME in a batch with a significant amount of un-fermentables would be the culprit? I also used four 7g ale yeast packets re-hydrated. Blow off lasted 4 days.

I think the LME could be the issue. If the recipe was followed the same way and your fermentation conditions were virtually the same, the only difference would have to be the LME. If you switched brands of LME this could also be the issue.

Of course, different steeping grains would also produce different results. I'm talking more about identical recipes with more/less LME being the variable. That said, I've had issues with DME too, but it seems to finish a bit more dry for whatever reason.

Either way extract, be it LME or DME, seems to finish high a lot of times in my experiences. It's not a rule, but it happens often enough.

I think the LME could be the issue. If the recipe was followed the same way and your fermentation conditions were virtually the same, the only difference would have to be the LME. If you switched brands of LME this could also be the issue.

Of course, if different steeping grains were used this would also produce different results. I'm talking more about identical recipes with more/less LME being the variable. Of course, I've had issues with DME too, but it seems to finish a bit more dry for whatever reason. Maybe it's more fresh.

I didn't use any steeping grains in this one. But I do agree that DME seems to finish out a little lower than LME. I used the same brand of LME I typically use. I just doubled the LME with the 3lbs of plain DME being the same. I wound up with 10.5lbs of malt extracts in it,so I figured 4-7g ale packets re-hydrated should've been plenty to get down to my usual FG range. I used 1 can Cooper's English Bitter with 1 can of their OS Draught with the usual 3lbs of Munton's plain light DME,& 3 ounces English style hops. It gave the malt profile I wanted,but the English bitter being a copper sort of color may've contributed to many unfermentable malt sugars due to the darker color.
Otherwise,the color is spot on,a little sweetness on the back a Burton ale was said to have in Victorian adds I read. The color is from a poster I saw that was an addy for one of them that had been painted. From what I could gleen from B&W pics of the day,I at least got it close. Descriptions from back then helped a little too.
I'd like to get it lower,but IDK?...

I didn't use any steeping grains in this one. But I do agree that DME seems to finish out a little lower than LME. I used the same brand of LME I typically use. I just doubled the LME with the 3lbs of plain DME being the same. I wound up with 10.5lbs of malt extracts in it,so I figured 4-7g ale packets re-hydrated should've been plenty to get down to my usual FG range. I used 1 can Cooper's English Bitter with 1 can of their OS Draught with the usual 3lbs of Munton's plain light DME,& 3 ounces English style hops. It gave the malt profile I wanted,but the English bitter being a cooper sort of color may've contributed to many unfermentable malt sugars due to the darker color.
Otherwise,the color is spot on,a little sweetness on the back a Burton ale was said to have in Victorian adds I read. The color is from a poster I saw that was an addy for one of them that had been painted. From what I could gleen from B&W pics of the day,I at least got it close. Descriptions from back then helped a little too.
I'd like to get it lower,but IDK?...

I'm confused because you had an OG=1.065 and FG=1.020. For 10.5lb of extract in a 5gal batch, I would expect OG=1.083. was your batch over 6gals?

I'm confused because you had an OG=1.065 and FG=1.020. For 10.5lb of extract in a 5gal batch, I would expect OG=1.083. was your batch over 6gals?

I get 1.075 for 10.5lbs. extract in a 5 gal. batch from Beersmith, but I agree 65 seems a little low. It depends on the extract too...

Got that recipe OP?

I made the recipe for my usual 6G (23L) batch,estimated 1.070,& got 1.065 actual. Not as dark as a porter,Burton ales are anywhere from a rich golden to an amber golden brown. Sort of rustier amber as compared to my APA/IPA's color. Here's the recipe list;
1 can cooper's OS Draught
1 can cooper's English Bitter
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
1oz US Fuggle hops
1oz US Golding
1oz Willamette
4/7g cooper's ale yeast packets,re-hydrated in 2C boiled water with 1TBSP dextrose
Brewed to 6G,or 23L
OG 1.065
Hop additions last 20 minutes in increments of about 6min,45sec.
I used half the DME in the boil for the hop additions,remaining DME & LME added at flame out & steeped while prepping FV & ice bath. I usually have good luck getting low FG's with cooper's cans as a base,but not this time?...

Only problem is,my bottling bucket was my secondary for my Whiskely ale. Didn't think then that I still needed to rack onto the priming solution. My son is coming over tomorrow to take my wife to the bank,so maybe I can hit the LHBS for parts to duplicate my bottling bucket as a secondary?...Idk,I roused it & put a thicker,warmer cover over it. But atm it looks like I'm still getting reverse pressure. Dang,I really want this to finish out before bottling. Think I'll play around with the priming calculator a bit.
**By the way,I hope this helps the OP with his problem,being the same as mine. Didn't mean to Bogart your thread. Just thought maybe we could all benefit at the same time,same place...

I made the recipe for my usual 6G (23L) batch,estimated 1.070,& got 1.065 actual. Not as dark as a porter,Burton ales are anywhere from a rich golden to an amber golden brown. Sort of rustier amber as compared to my APA/IPA's color. Here's the recipe list;
1 can cooper's OS Draught
1 can cooper's English Bitter
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
1oz US Fuggle hops
1oz US Golding
1oz Willamette
4/7g cooper's ale yeast packets,re-hydrated in 2C boiled water with 1TBSP dextrose
Brewed to 6G,or 23L
OG 1.065
Hop additions last 20 minutes in increments of about 6min,45sec.
I used half the DME in the boil for the hop additions,LME added at flame out & steeped while prepping FV & ice bath. I usually have good luck getting low FG's with cooper's cans as a base,but not this time?...

Is this what you used? I'm not a kit brewer but should these LME's be hopped already? I see that you added more hops on top.
Anyways, for your recipe, I calculated OG=1.069 and FG=1.019. Since your OG was a little lower, I wouldn't expect the FG to be lower than 1.018. Just give it more time in primary to see if you get few points down.

kit.jpg

Yes,they are,BUT light bittering only. No aroma or flavor hops in them. Hence why I use hop bursting with them,& added DME. I can give them completely different color/aroma/flavor qualities by re-combining them.
Anyway,they usually ferment down to 1.010 to average it out. & since I got that last 1.020 reading at 20C,that corrects to 1.019,according to brewheads.com hydrometer correction calculator. So it sounds like the numbers you got are pretty close to mine. It just threw a red flag in my mind when both FG tests a week apart were 1.020. I have pics of the ingredients in my gallery. Also,it's still cloudy,just not quite as much as last week's sample. So it seems you may indeed be right. Just wanna be sure it's done. I'm bucks down on this one.

Latest posts

Back