Stuck and claudy GF AG Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
My latest batch was a pretty typical batch for me. All grain, gluten free pale ale. This one just wont clear up. I forgot to put in the whirlfloc tab at the end of the boil, but I have done that many times and those batches cleared up just fine.

OG was about 1.058 and pitched a packet of US-05. Fermented like crazy all the way to the blowoff tube. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and it was not clear, so I transferred it to a secondary and it has been in there cold crashing for another week. I took a sample on the transfer and it was 1.008 and tasted good. No off flavors that I could detect.

Every batch has its own personality!

File Apr 02, 6 03 46 PM.jpg

Gelatin does work ..it can take a week or so at the point your at now post cold crash to work its magic but it will work..might even double up on the standard 1 tea spoon for 5 gal.
Been there done that no harm to the beer at all.

FWIW we had an IPA about 2 months ago that would not clear..gelatin fixed it perfectly post crash with a double dose all at once...reason it was cloudy? who knows....sometimes the Moon is just in the wrong quadrant to brew me thinks.

Did the double dose and after 48 hours it was pretty clear so I transferred to the keg Sunday. It will clear a little more while it carbonates.

On the bright side, this has forced me to allow this batch to condition before I start into it!

Did the double dose and after 48 hours it was pretty clear so I transferred to the keg Sunday. It will clear a little more while it carbonates.

On the bright side, this has forced me to allow this batch to condition before I start into it!

Sounds like you ruined a perfectly good cloudy NE IPA! ;) Kidding...

I was intrigued by the NE IPA post for sure, but I don't think this one was cloudy for the right reasons! This batch I tried to go less hop forward and test the malty character. The jury has still not fully weighed in on this one but first impression is that it is a little too sweet. I got better efficiency then I counted on so my OG was a little high so it ended up a little ... well ... sort of a little to thick if that makes sense. Since the hop profile was tame it just seemed a little to much. Still drinkable, but not my best work. But you have to test the limits, right? Still have to find that balance!

Latest posts

Back