Stuck 20%ABV beer attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I brewed a 1.127 OG belgian ale with plans of adding 5lbs of beet sugar during fermentation for a calc OG of 1.173.

My ingredients were 100% belgian pale mashed at 145.

I pitched on top of a yeast cake of WLP530 (previously fermented a 5% ABV belgian). I oxygenated for the first couple days, lots of yeast nutrient. It ate through the first 100 points in around 2 days so I then pitched my 2l started of WLP099 at that point and added more oxygen and yeast nutrient.

I realize that the 099 was probably under pitched but thought it would still pull through.

Throughout that fermentation I added 4 lbs of 180 beet sugar. My current gravity is 1.042 which puts me at about 18%. It's sweeter than I would like and i'm surprised that it's not in the lower 1.030's. I thought the malt was 80% fermentable which would bring me down to 1.025-1.030 since the beet sugar is close to 100% fermentable.

Any ideas? I realize the 099 can chew away slowly and could drop a couple more points but i'm not expecting much since it's bee pretty flat the last couple days. I do still see some fine bubbles and some very light krausen floating.

I held off on adding that last 1lb of beet sugar since I don't want to increase the risk of having too sweet of a beer in case the 099 is done.

Any thoughts?

Yup, I do a 14% Imperial Stout every year but getting past that has proven to be a challenge without producing too sweet of a beer. I love pushing the my brewing limits though.

I cant help you, but it sounds like a great beer. Perhaps some time will help it be less sweet?

I would give it some more time. I recently used wlp099 on a 1147 Barleywine that stalled at 1050. It took a week or so to start but after it has knocked out a point about every 2 days. Last gravity sample was at 1042 and there is still airlock activity.

I did a DFH 120 minute style beer. I used US-05 and WLP 099. I might try warming it up a little if you can. If not give it a week or so. If it doesn't move by then, create a big healthy starter of WLP 099 and see if that helps. Good luck!

Define "lots of yeast nutrient". Fermentations with lots of gravity from sugar can lack nutrients, particularly after the initial pitch has consumed most of the nutrients from the malt, and perhaps your initial pitch of yeast nutrient.

Champagne yeast can keep working away in higher alcohol environments. Most brewers yeast crap out once you start pushing too high

This plus the idea that chanpagne yeast won't eat the maltose which the ale yeast dines on but will ferment simple sugars which you added in bulk. I say it should help a bit.

Used amylase once on a stout that was stuck around 1.03...I think it might have dropped another point or two...whether that was the amylase is debatable. I've read more saying that amylase has to be added earlier in the process to be effective (mash, I think). I wouldn't think it'd be as effective an option as you're hoping for. best of luck.

Back