strong alcohol flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peligro28

Reaction score
Just kegged a Amber Ale. OG was 64 and FG was 24. After 10 days in primary @ 65-70, 3 days at 38 degrees to cold crash and 4 days carbonating. The beer has a strong alcohol flavor. The head is beautiful!! I had read that high fermenting temps lead to strong alcohol flavors but I kept it at a steady 69 degrees. Any thoughts??

First thought is that your yeast raised the temperature of the wort so it was much higher than the ambient 69 degrees.

Second thought is that you need to give it much more than 4 days to fully carbonate and that may give you a hot alcohol perception.

I've read the same. My first beer was an APA and it had a strong alcohol taste that went away with time. I fermented it below 70º as well. I drink one every other week or so and it only has gotten better and more mellow. Definitely give it time to do its thing.

Was actual temp 69 or ambient temp 69?
What type of yeast were you using?

Your beer is also green. Bottling 13 days after fermentation started may be a bit early even if you have reached you FG. I would let them sit for a few weeks before you crack another one open.

Back