Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1112

Reaction score
Hey guys let me know what u think. I'm making a imperial stout 11lb maris otter. 5lb 6row. 1lb 8oz chocolate malt. 1lb8oz black patent. 1lb 8oz flaked oats. 1lb roasted barley 8oz flaked barley. 8oz crystal 80 2oz chinook 60min boil. 1pack safale us05 with 2 liter starter. To much goin on or give it a try? Thanks!

fwiw, Beersmith2 says for a 5 gallon recipe: OG 1.115 IBU 68.2 SRM 84.7 ABV 12.1%

- That's pretty light on the IBUs. I'd add another ounce of Chinook at 30, that would bring the "on paper" IBUs to 94.

- I'd also add some flavor & aroma hops - an ounce of Cascade at 15 and another at 5. But that's personal preference and can be ignored :)

- 1.5 pounds of black patent, even if it's debittered that's a lot of black patent for five gallons. I'd cut that to 8 ounces.

- Not sure about doing a starter with US-05. Might consider just pitching two packs...

Cheers!

Back