Munich Porter Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
Looking for complex flavor profile, but very new to creating my own recipes

OG 1042
FG 1007
4.61% ABV
40 IBU

7 lb. Munich
1 lb. Maris Otter
.5 American Chocolate
.50 Roasted Barley
.50 Flaked Oats
.25 Flaked Wheat
.25 Torrified Wheat
.75 Chinook 11%AA @ 60 minutes
1.65 Fuggles 2.9%AA @ 10 minutes

S 04 or S 05 yeast

Why two kind of wheat? Why oats? 40 Ibus are A LOT for this type of lower OG dark beer. You can go 50/50 with chocolate/roasted, also 10% of the grist is about right if you ask me. Do you know what chocolate malt contributes and what roasted barley contributes? I am asking because most people only think they have an idea of these ingredients but the idea very rarely reflects reality. Only way to figure this out is to brew the same beer twice, once with chocolate malt only and once with roasted barley only. I for myself found out that I do not care for chocolate malt at all. Which was quite surprising to me. Also, chocolate malt does not deliver anything chocolate accept the colour. So maybe it would be a good idea to do a split batch?

I agree, you got a lot going on there. It's best to keep it as simple as possible, even for something complex.

It's a lot of bold flavors. But in small quantities. So it may work.

It kind of depends on what type of munich. If darker, I would go with S-04. If lighter, I would go with US-05.

Also, if you subbed the munich for 2row, it would be an interesting American brown ale. But sounds like you are aiming for a Porter.

I did a porter with Vienna as base malt many years ago. It was very good. Long time ago but it was basically Vienna with a little Special B and pale choc

I think it looks good. I'm just guessing/visualizing, but the color may be more brown than dark. If you want s darker color, I would add back in .25 roasted barley.

I think your revision looks good, too. Make sure you keep the darker malts out of the mash until the end. It helps mitigate extracting the tannins out of the husks as well as keeping your pH in balance.

I think it looks good. I'm just guessing/visualizing, but the color may be more brown than dark. If you want s darker color, I would add back in .25 roasted barley.
With more than 10%. Roasted, this is going to be pretty dark.

Edit: my bad, thought the pale chocolate was roasted barley. Yes this could be brownish in colour.

Last edited:
FIRST REVISION: How's this look? Tried to incorporate a number of comments from above.

7 lb. Light Munich
1 lb. Maris Otter
.50 Pale Chocolate
.50 Chocolate
.50 Flaked Wheat
I looked up "Munich Porter" and found a very similar recipe, in the tasting notes, the author stated the "roasty" flavor he was looking for wasn't enough.
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/04/munich-porter.html
Not sure If I would use pale chocolate and chocolate malt, I'd probably keep the 1/2 lb pale chocolate and then go with Carafa III, or roasted barley, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Using chocolate rye or midnight wheat is another option.
You may want to consider brewing a 2.5 gallon batch, see how you like it, and then make some adjustments for a re-brew.

But that recipe is 11 lbs base grain to my 7 lbs. So shouldn't I have a greater roastiness based on the higher percentage of roasted grains?

Also SRM should be around 30 at present, unless I add a little more chocolate to up it.

But that recipe is 11 lbs base grain to my 7 lbs. So shouldn't I have a greater roastiness based on the higher percentage of roasted grains?

Also SRM should be around 30 at present, unless I add a little more chocolate to up it.
No, it's the amount of roasted grain that gives the flavour, not the ratio to the rest of the grist. The ratio is just a ball park thingy to get an idea of what to expect. That's why you have these big stouts with huge roast and coffee but with only 5% of the grist as roasted grain/malt.

Didn't know that. Maybe I'll kick the chocolate up to .75. Thanks. That should also up the SRM to around 35.

Back