(stout) Cherry Extract recomendations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSM

Reaction score
Due to a home remodel my all grain op is shut off. I busted out some old equipment and did a nice extract on the stove yesterday.

Doing so I realized I have a vial of irish stout yeast about to expire.. so I picked up some more extract and on a whim some cherry extract.

The extract is from NorthernBrewer 4 oz. Just wondering if anyone has used all 4 oz's and what the cherry flavor was like or if anyone recomends using a different amount?

Don't use it. Cherry is one of the worst extract flavors out there. It will give a decent cherry smell, but it will taste like cough syrup. I used one 4 oz. bottle of that stuff in a stout and it ruined it.

The only flavor extracts that are worth the money are the raspberry and peach. Nothing compares to the real thing though.

I'd suggest buying those cherry filling cans from the store. After using Wild Cherries, Frozen Cherries, Cherry Extract, and Canned Cherry pie filling....

Chery pie filling every time. Definately the EASIEST to work with.

I'd suggest buying those cherry filling cans from the store. After using Wild Cherries, Frozen Cherries, Cherry Extract, and Canned Cherry pie filling....

Chery pie filling every time. Definately the EASIEST to work with.

Plain old cherry pie filling? Can you elaborate on your process please?
That should be cheaper than fresh cherries at least

I *think* he means Oregon fruit pie filling, not that Wilderness stuff, which I believe has preservatives, etc. You can add it to the secondary for 10 days or so, then into a clearing vessel for 10 more days.

Back