Storms. Ugh.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
So after surviving several VERY gusty Thunderstorms, my hops finally got beat up pretty good from a storm that blew up last night.

I had a strong piece of wire going across the top of my trellis, that somehow got sheared right where it connects to the one post. So, of course, I woke up this morning to the hops resting on the ground, since they had no overhead support. I put up a quick fix until I get home from work, but, geez, must've been some storm to shear the wire like that! Of course it was wire I found around the house, so I have no clue what the test strength on it was.

Tending to these first year hops has been tougher than tending to my 4-month old!

any idea what the diameter is on the original wire? A wet live load can be several multiples of the static dry load...

I'm using about a 3/4 inch thick sturdy trellis rope, and it has survived two tornado warnings and gusty enough winds that toppled plenty trees/branches in the area. Sounds like you just had some faulty rope. Otherwise the actual rope/strings tehmselves should be the least of your worries!

Latest posts

Back