Storing Working Strength (Diluted) Iodophor in Corny ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryM

Reaction score
I searched but did not find the answer to:

With the understanding that 12.5 ppm Iodophor breaks down quickly (relatively) when stored in an open container, does anyone know how it holds up when is stored under pressure in a keg?

- Does it keep for a while?
- Does it cause the inside of the keg to pit?

Thanks.

TM

The keg pressure won't increase its life. Having it sealed and protected from light, however will. You probably won't find any quantifiable data about shelf life in those conditions. Iodophor is supposed to play nice with stainless, so it shouldn't pit. if you're going to keep it in a fridge I'm sure that will help the life and pitting question as well.

Iodophor, when mixed has a relatively short shelf life in a sealed container or not. It will come out of solution rather quickly. You can see this visually by observing the color change as it lightens over several days. When in a closed container, you can also see the iodophor accumulate on the inside of the container cap as it precipitates out of solution. I don't know if it evaporates out or what, but it doesn't remain in solution for very long. The upside of all this is that iodophor is very inexpensive, so it's not a big deal to mix up a new batch when needed. I typically mix up a one gallon plastic jug and use most of it for one brew session and discard any that remains. I use both Star San and Iodophor. I like Star San better as it doesn't stain plastic equipment, but for non plastics like kegs and such the Iodophor is fine.

Back