Storing non-carbonated beer in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHandedBrewing

Reaction score
After 7 years of bottling my homebrew, I got the okay from SWMBO to build my kegerator. I have been researching all things to do with kegging now for a few weeks, but I have been unable to locate information on storing a keg. I brew 10 gallon batches, so I will get 2 kegs out of each brew. I see no point in keeping 2 kegs of the same brew on tap at the same time. My question: while storing the second keg outside the cooler, should I carbonate it, or would it be okay to leave in uncarbonated until it is moved into the kegerator. I understand that it takes about 2 weeks to carb up in the kegerator. Any input would be appreciated.

Well, since you have a CO2 tank, you might as well at least purge the headspace with C02 after kegging, minimizing any possible oxidation.

You don't have to carbonate it, but since you have the capability, go ahead and purge the headspace.

It's fine to store uncarbed beer in the keg as long as you purge and pressurize it. I do so when I need fermenter space - then I wait until I have an open slot in the ghettorator. I kept an imperial stout uncarbed for over a year, and it was quite good when I finally carbed and served it.

Ya, put a blanket of CO2 on top of the beer and at that point, its a secondary fermenter until you chill it and pressurize it. No worries.

Something to keep in mind is that you can prime it just like a bottle, using 1/2 the normal priming sugar. Purge the headspace and give the keg a shot of co2 to displace the oxygen, and let it sit at room temperature. It'll be carbed up in a couple of weeks at room temperature, and ready for its turn in the kegerator.

Latest posts

Back