Storing keg at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony B

Reaction score
I have a 3 tap kegerator that is currently full. I am planning to keg a batch this weekend that will not fit. I have read a little bit about storing kegs at room temp. My thought is that after racking to the keg to purge the head space a few times and then leave it on about 30psi overnight. Then I would periodically gas it back up until there’s room in the kegerator. Does this plan seem adequate for room temp storage?

I do it all the time without issue. However, if I know a keg will not go into the keezer and on gas immediately, I add 1/2 cup of sugar to the keg when I rack the beer and then pressurize/purge a few times with CO2. That way the keg gets a head start on fermenting while it sits at room temp. and the priming sugar/fermentation eats up oxygen from racking. The only downside to doing this is that you ideally have to give it a week or two at room temp. to finish fermenting the priming sugar before you put it in the keezer/kegerator.

I do it all the time without issue. However, if I know a keg will not go into the keezer and on gas immediately, I add 1/2 cup of sugar to the keg when I rack the beer and then pressurize/purge a few times with CO2. That way the keg gets a head start on fermenting while it sits at room temp. and the priming sugar/fermentation eats up oxygen from racking. The only downside to doing this is that you ideally have to give it a week or two at room temp. to finish fermenting the priming sugar before you put it in the keezer/kegerator.
I was thinking about priming with sugar, but this keg is a sanke style keg. I use the sanke tap with ball lock adapters, so I could still do that I guess if I boiled a sugar solution and then transferred from a bottle with a carbonation cap to the keg. Maybe I’ll try that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back