Storing kegs wet after cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
TL;DR
Can I cap a freshly cleaned keg leaving some moisture in there? Then place it in storage.

Longer
I finished cleaning kegs with my newly built keg washer. Oxi contact then a thorough rinse. Inverted kegs to drain as much as I could. Usually, I would fill with StarSan and purge each with CO2, going down the line. Got tired after cleaning and skipped that step.
I did not want to leave the lids off because of the concern of dust floating in. Do I need to be concerned about mold growing in the sealed kegs?

PS - I'll be doing the StarSan purging tonight (<24 hours since cleaning). Playing devil's advocate, let's assume that I wasn't.

Thanks!

I sometimes store my cleaned and rinsed kegs upside down and unsealed. When I get ready to use them, I give them a quick rinse then starsan. I wouldn't store them water wet and sealed for any length of time.

Storing wet will 100% guarantee nasties growth. Dry and store open. If you're gonna store them closed, pressurize them

I store upside down and open after cleaning. Then a quick rise before using.

My kegs have rubber handles, so I leave all the fittings and lid off and store upside down...I have a bucket full of keg parts that I just wash em whenever I need em!

After cleaning and rinsing, I leave mine upside down overnight to drain. Then I turn them upright and let them sit a day or so to air dry. I bag the posts, O-rings and gas dip tube and put them in the keg. I leave the liquid dip tube in place, install the lid (no O-ring and loosely install the pressure relief valve. Finally, I cover the posts with small pieces of aluminum foil, just to keep bugs out - it's amazing what places spiders will crawl into. At this point, I store them upright until I'm ready to use them. I rotate seven kegs for my five keg keezer and I've never had an issue.

When I keg, I throw some Star San in, seal everything up, pressurize with CO2, make sure nothing is leaking, roll them around to sanitize everything and then hook up a disconnect with a short piece of tubing to flush the Star San. Closed transfer from my fermenter and I'm good to go.

Once a keg is finished I rinse, PBW soak keg and all fittings/orings, rinse and fully assemble keg, then fill with 1-2 cups of starsan (made from demineralised water). Swish that around so all surfaces have been contacted. Then leave keg sealed under 5psi pressure with starsan in there. When ready to use I check to see if pressure has been held in keg (otherwise it’s a sign the seals are no good), open up and tip starsan out, then seal and use the fermentation gas to purge the keg of O2.

When its done and mostly dry, you can also take a paper towel (or maybe even some unused paper facemasks) and wrap it around the keg 2" opening. Then use a rubber-band to keep it in place. Moisture can get out, but dust and particulates wont' be able to get in.

Once a keg is finished I rinse, PBW soak keg and all fittings/orings, rinse and fully assemble keg, then fill with 1-2 cups of starsan (made from demineralised water). Swish that around so all surfaces have been contacted. Then leave keg sealed under 5psi pressure with starsan in there. When ready to use I check to see if pressure has been held in keg (otherwise it’s a sign the seals are no good), open up and tip starsan out, then seal and use the fermentation gas to purge the keg of O2.
This is what I do, I have never had a problem with a keg that retained pressure. If one did not, I know I need to rebuild it to fix a leak.

Back