Storing Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
How long can you store kegged beer at room temperature?

My kegerator holds 4 cornys, but during the spring and fall, I want to brew a lot, so I'll have enough beer to last through the hot summer and cold winter months. How long can I keep full kegs at room temperature?

You can store beer indefinitely at room temperature, just like with bottles. Some beers will age well, but some will not. It won't "go bad", but it definitely can get past its peak. Beer ages faster at room temperature than at cellar temperatures, so beers that are better fresh will be the first to lose flavor and aroma.

I would argue that kegs are optimal for long term storage -- a much better vessel for extended aging than a carboy or a bucket. Just make sure the beer is fully attenuated and purge with CO2 beforehand. The beer will off gas over time (due to temperature fluctuations) so you might need to bleed excess pressure once in a while.

I would argue that kegs are optimal for long term storage -- a much better vessel for extended aging than a carboy or a bucket.

Well, yeah. Food Service items are always 304 Stainless Steel - easy to clean, easy to sanitize. I do purge with CO2, but now that you mention it, it is particularly important if you're planning to store it for awhile.

OK, next question - why do "Big Beer" companies Pasteurize their beer? Should we?

Dave

OK, next question - why do "Big Beer" companies Pasteurize their beer? Should we?

Dave

To kill off any possible yeast that may have made it past the filtering and so the beer can withstand huge fluctuations in temperature while in storage/transport to retailers..

No..

The big beer companies also don't want any fluctuation of tastete at all with their beers. For homebrewers, a little change in flavor due to aging is not a bad thing. The change with aging comes, in part, from the actions of the yeast left in the beeer.

How long can you store kegged beer at room temperature?

My kegerator holds 4 cornys, but during the spring and fall, I want to brew a lot, so I'll have enough beer to last through the hot summer and cold winter months. How long can I keep full kegs at room temperature?

I guess we will find out! I just kegged a bourbon barrel porter and a cranberry pomegranate cider this week, threw spunding valves on them and put them in the wine cellar to age until Thanksgiving or later.

I may taste them monthly to keep track of flavors but that's all.

Back