Storing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjtaylor

Reaction score
Do I need to sanitize after cleaning the equipment? I'm getting ready to store the equipment for a few months...

Thanks,
WT

It won't hurt anything to sanitize it and dry it before you store it I usually skip the step with fermenters after cleaning but I always sanitize kegs after cleaning and before filling.

I always do this

Clean->Sanitize->Air Dry->Store->Sanitize->Use it

Ditto... with one caveat, if there's stainless steel you're storing don't leave any dollops of sanitizer on it. The acid can take a layer of your steel off.

I have some yeast residue still stuck in my auto siphon... Is this going to come back to haunt me? I tried to get it clean with oxyclean. I've had good luck with this. (You have to rince very well though.)

Thanks,
WT

YES! Have to clean yeast residue. Soak it in PBW overnight, it'll loosen it up. Then hit it with Starsan.

I use to wash, sanitize, bag, store, rewash, sanitize, use.

The reason I store cleaned and dry is, I don't like storing items with the residue/film that Starsan leaves behind, possibly collecting dust or any other unruly little critters that might be floating around, and after a few days Im pretty sure that the dried sanitizer is worthless for protecting your equipment, so its just a waste of time, someone with documented proof correct me if Im wrong about that, Id be very interested. just my 2 cents.

Cheers :mug:

I clean everything hot side and sanitize the carboys and 2' of 1/2" hose going out the plate chiller. The plate chiller is pressure canned. And I sanitize the kegs. Their is no point sanitizing hot side stuff, the boil will take care of it.

Back