Stopping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
I was planning a peach saison and wanna make sure to stop fermentation before I add the peaches in the secondary. What is the best way to stop it so the peaches natural sugars don't get fermented?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never considered sulfates for beer. The only way I could imagine doing it is to cold crash it until the yeast all settles out. There is still the possibility you will restart fermentation, unless you add it to cold beer and keep it cold. I assume you will not be bottling. You want yeast to eat the priming sugar if you bottle in order to carbonate. If you stop it then it can't carbonate your beer.

Why not just put the peaches into the fermenter and let the yeast have their way with them? Saison is supposed to be dry. You want peach flavor, not peach sweetness.

I've never considered sulfates for beer. The only way I could imagine doing it is to cold crash it until the yeast all settles out. There is still the possibility you will restart fermentation, unless you add it to cold beer and keep it cold. I assume you will not be bottling. You want yeast to eat the priming sugar if you bottle in order to carbonate. If you stop it then it can't carbonate your beer.

Why not just put the peaches into the fermenter and let the yeast have their way with them? Saison is supposed to be dry. You want peach flavor, not peach sweetness.

I do ten gallon batches and keg half and bottle half. I was gonna just let the bottled stuff go to town but try to get a little of the sweetness for the keg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Then the only thing I can think of is letting the half you'll bottle ferment out and prime/bottle. I guess for the sweet keg, I guess you could cold-crash secondary cold and then keg cold. If you keep it cold enough you could keep ale yeast from kicking off again. Then go straight to force carbing. Keep in mind if you let the temp rise much it will kick off fermentation again. The only other option would be to use metabisulfite (sp) in the beer.

You say "stopping fermentation", but I think you mean preventing fermentation from restarting. If so, then potassium sorbate will do the job, but if you're bottling, you will have to force carbonate and then bottle with a counter pressure bottle filler, as the pot. sor. will also prevent yeast from naturally carbonating your bottled beer. It you let the bottled stuff "go to town" as you say, you may end up with under- or over-carbonated bottles depending on how much sugar is in the peaches and how much priming sugar you use. But for the keg, the potassium sorbate will be fine at 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Back