Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet that is good to know, I bought a few of those herb balls and I'll try dry hopping with 'em in the keg next time. Way easier than doing a secondary. Besides my glass carboys are always full of Apfelwein. :D

The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

I need to a herb ball. Where did you get yours? What size is it (3", 4", etc)? I assume you use leaf hops in it, do you hang it or let it float or sink?

James

Walmart! It's 3 or so inches, has a clip that attaches to the dip tube perfectly. I use pellets, allowing enough room in the ball to expand.

Well, I did this one today as it was my 2nd AG attempt. First AG was Ed's Haus Pale which should be ready to drink in a week. Everything went very well but I got pretty lousy efficiency at 65% on this one. I hit 69% on the Haus Pale Ale. My OG on this only came out to 1.058. I think my problem is the crush. I've been buying my grains from Austin Homebrew and they just do not seem to be crushed enough. Looks like a Barley Crusher is needed before the next batch. I'm sure it will still taste yummy...

I wanted to buy one of those. Edwort told me where to get one, but I never could find one out here in Las Vegas. I looked everywhere.

I still want one, and I do have an Austin Homebrew Supply order coming up....but at the same time I have been bitten by the DIY bug as of late. I might fashion a sexy hopback instead. I dunno. My DIY plate is pretty full at the moment.

Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

Doing a 5 gal batch of this Sunday :rockin:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get Warrior or Magnum....So, I'm going with the Chinook/Centennial Combo.

It'll probably taste completely different, but, I was itchin to do an IPA and this seemed like a good recipe to base with. :D

Doing a 5 gal batch of this Sunday :rockin:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get Warrior or Magnum....So, I'm going with the Chinook/Centennial Combo.

It'll probably taste completely different, but, I was itchin to do an IPA and this seemed like a good recipe to base with. :D

That is a good test anyway and I'm sure it will be very good substitute too as those are very good hops for this brew.

I just bottled this beer today. I dry-hopped for 2 weeks and I must say that it is the best tasting beer directly out the fermenter I've ever had. Can't wait until this one is ready......

Hey Ed,

If you don't mind me askin', About how long did you leave this one in the primary before kegging? And did you crash cool this one as well?

Thanks

Hey Ed,

If you don't mind me askin', About how long did you leave this one in the primary before kegging? And did you crash cool this one as well?

Thanks

I don't remember off hand, but it was at least 2 weeks in the primary before I crash cooled it and kegged it.

I got a question. I too use AHS and I did this recipe as my first AG. Anyway I dont recall using centenial hops. I used warrior and amarillo. Turned out fantastic by the way. Same grain bill as eds.

edit: guess I didnt really have a question...more of a statement.

I got a question. I too use AHS and I did this recipe as my first AG. Anyway I dont recall using centenial hops. I used warrior and amarillo. Turned out fantastic by the way. Same grain bill as eds.

edit: guess I didnt really have a question...more of a statement.

AHS changed the recipe due to the shortage of C hops.

Still dang tasty!

My bottles turned 2 weeks old over the weekend and as always, I try one at the 2 week mark. I have to say this might be the best beer I have ever had. I was absolutely amazed. Nice head and perfect hop presence. This was only my second AG so I was very surprised how good it turned out. I think this might be my house ale!!

i did a stone ipa clone recently, splitting the 10 gallon batch and pitching sa-05 in one and sa-04 in the other. they are both great, but the sa-04 is slightly better. it has more malt character that results in a better balance between it and the face-full-o-hops. i guess i could mash higher to get the same result from the sa-05. ?
at any rate, this will be on rotation in my four keg setup as long as the 2# of centennial hops i snagged hold out.
i think i'll go draw one now...
cheers!

I am drinking a bottled ruination right now and it is a lot clearer then that. I also had the opportunity to visit the stone brewery and have it fresh on tap a month ago and it was just as clear then too. There is sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so maybe your bottles were shaken up a bit and didn't have time to settle. <shrug> :confused: <shrug>

It's been two weeks since I've kegged this IPA.....:)

Can't wait to get home from work and pull a pint. :mug:

The new BYO has an AWESOME article on Stone. Their IPA was listed. I plan on doing it their way and seeing the difference.....

The new BYO has an AWESOME article on Stone. Their IPA was listed. I plan on doing it their way and seeing the difference.....

You mind posting that recipe? I like me some Stone IPA. All the different recipe versions might help me narrow down my own. Thanks!

Mine worked out to about 7.5%...After 2 pints I was feeling pretty good last night. :drunk:

Still a bit green but tasty!

hello there
I am going to brew this recipe soon but using Maris Otter instead of US 2-row. Do you think I should halve Munich malt in the recipe as MO is meant to have a more malty flavour. Jamil in his book brewing classic styles recommends dropping Munich(1/2 lb) in his own IPA recipe if using an English pale malt.
cheers
derek

Mine was brewed on 10/10 and kegged/dry hopped on 11/1. Hopefully a tap will open up soon and I can try this thing.

Mike

I've got an IPA I want to dry hop and keg. This is my first IPA I can put on tap at my place. I've always bottled before, so I would dry-hop in secondary and then bottle. I was wondering about dry-hopping directly in the keg. Do you typically do this? Ever get any grassy taste after a month or so, or is it all good?

I brewed this back in October and it was my 2nd AG attempt. I have been drinking them slowly and let me tell you, if you are able to keep some for 2-3 months this just keeps getting better!! Probably the best beer I've ever had and my wife who does NOT drink beer at all said it was delicious and could probably drink an entire glass. Trust me, this says a lot!! I also just tried a Stone IPA for the first time and I think this recipe came out better.

ingredients are in my cart @ morebeer.
looks like 23 bucks to brew, save for the hops which i have on hand.
i should be able to brew three of these batches with the hops and yeast i have in stock.
hope it comes out good!

thanks ed.

I kegged my PM batch of this last night while sipping a Stone IPA. The color was almost an exact match. And from the warm hydrometer sample, it definitely tasted like an accurate clone. I'm very excited to drink this in a few days. I love Stone's IPA, but as they don't distribute in IL, I don't get it very often. Driving to WI for beer that costs $12-16 per sixer is hard to justify to SWMBO.

Thanks so much for posting this Ed. I have a feeling this will be a regular batch at my house.

ok, no warrior or magnum hops right now. any suggestions? would any high aa hop work? the centennial i have is at 9% if that helps. any central ohio brewers who want to swap i have a freezer full of different varities!

FWIW, hophaus sales on ebay has magnum, and nikko has warrior...

where i got em from.
warrior is way higher than 9%, mine is 15.8 :eek:

i was hoping to brew this recipe tomorrow morning (SWMBO is working). i have some columbus that are around 13 and some simco that is around 12. maybe a cascade columbus mix to bump up the IBU's?

If you change the hops, it's going to be a different beer. Truth is, even Stone has changed their hop bill over the years depending on availability. It used to have Ahtanum, now I think they're using something else. FWIW, Stone IPA definitely tastes different depending where in the country you are. You can't beat getting it from a grocery store in North County....hell.....I can't even find it here in the North Chicago Suburbs :D

It's an American IPA; the big factors are clean yeast, dry finish, high AA's with lots of aroma, and a generally low SRM. There's a million combinations you can use; I don't think you'll go wrong if you just change one thing each time.

Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

finally brewing today. mashing now.. bout 20 mins left.
went and bought a 22oz stone IPA for the hell of it to drink while brewin.
mash temps was spot on.
i only bought 10lbs of 2 row, woops. ohh well. beersmith says og estimate is 1.065. we will soon find out.

cooling a 5 gallon smash now, almost time to transfer and pitch.

double brew days save ALOT of time!

only bummer, carrying 8 gallons of spring water fron the grocery store!
damn i need a carbon filer for my well water.

Has anyone tried a Ruination clone?? I love that beer and would like to try it. The recent special 'Hops' edition of BYO has the recipe so I think I may do this after my next brew.....

Has anyone tried a Ruination clone?? I love that beer and would like to try it. The recent special 'Hops' edition of BYO has the recipe so I think I may do this after my next brew.....

I helped a friend brew the extract version of BYO's Ruination clone recipe a few weeks ago. He just racked it to the secondary last week so it's still about a month out, but so far it tastes good.

Back