Stone Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the reader's digest version:

Get 30 granite stones(roughly from the size of your fist, to the size of a grapefruit), to rotate about ten at a time. A really hot fire is required and anything you use for the fuel will impart flavor-except gas. Using wood like cherry, apple, oak, mesquite, etc., will give your beer a smokey flavor along with the caramel flavors from the burned sugars on the stones.

A stainless steel basket is a very useful tool to add to your brewpot--this helps in changing the stones quicker.

I like to add the stones to the primary to increase the flavor imparted by the technique.

As with the warning in the article, only gather the stones from dry locations, as the wet ones will shatter when heated and are very dangerous.

I also like to use the stones on unsuspecting brews, like the wheat beer last summer--it lasted 10 minutes at the BB-Q.

I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you come up with--this is by far the most unusual beverage you will ever brew.

Back