Stomach issues with commercial beer but not home brewed beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I expect to be able to come up with an answer here, but I'm curious. What would cause someone to have stomach/GI issues with all commercial IPA's someone recently tried but not a home brewed NEIPA?

I'm sure that there's probably hundreds of things it could be and again, not expecting to come up with an answer. I guess I'm more curious if anyone else has ran into this.

I'm guessing bar food is generally not very healthy compared to home cooking...

A lot of yeast in suspension in the beer will make a lot of people get loose bowels. If they are drinking a lot of yeasty beer or if they are drinking the dregs in bottle conditioned beer, sometimes the stomach acid is too diluted to kill all the yeast and it finds its way into the intestines. I believe it is known as auto-brewery syndrome (ABS), and can cause gas, gas pain and looseness as the yeast converts undigested starches in the intestine. Can also be caused by eating undercooked pizza and bread doughs with still active yeast.

Last edited:
It's very possible. 3F hasn't impressed me lately so I don't drink much of it and it's been years since I've had a zombie dust. Could very well be a yeast thing for him

That is my guess, and totally agree about 3F. I haven't had a decent beer from them in a long time. When they scaled up, their beers went down IMO. I have the same intestinal issue with some German lager strains. Totally wrecks me almost as soon as I drink a beer with it. Another reason to stick with homebrew.

Don't know if it fits this discussion,but I used to have the same issues.The cause was Gluten, once that was reduced problems disappeared. I now brew gluten reduced beer using Clarity Ferm.

Don't know if it fits this discussion,but I used to have the same issues.The cause was Gluten, once that was reduced problems disappeared. I now brew gluten reduced beer using Clarity Ferm.
Yeah I at first thought that too but it's just commercial ipas. He can only make it through half of one before he has issues but he made it through 32oz of our NEIPA with zero issues.

Back