Stirring grain after fly sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc2617

Reaction score
So my question is after I finish fly sparing (can/should) I stir the grain bed to get the last bit of wort out of my false bottom mash tun?

i'd check the gravity to see if it was worth it.....
I will look into that in the future, the recipe we were following had no initial gravity range so I had nothing to base it on.
I just wanted to make sure we didn't make a HUGE mistake.

with a fly sparge, you sparge until you get a certain gravity from the runnings....(i just do it till i have a full BK though ;))

as you fly sparge, the runnings continually get weaker...

So my question is after I finish fly sparing (can/should) I stir the grain bed to get the last bit of wort out of my false bottom mash tun?

Fly sparging does not usually involve letting the grain get dry like that. You would continue adding water keeping liquid above the grain at all times until either you achieve your calculated pre boil volume or the runnings into the kettle drop below say 1.010 or so. Some people stop adding more sparge water when the pre boil is about 80% achieved just to save on water, but you really don't want the whole grain bed to collapse. Also, stirring is going to ruin the clarity of the wort if you care about that.

Back