Stirring boiling wort....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
As I sit watching my wort boil for 45 minutes, I am wondering how often do you guys stir the wort during the boil? Thanks!

Adding extract will require some stirring. Other than that I usually dont stir because it can make the wort bubble up and out of the pot.

Thanks guys! It seems I've been over-stirring....usually stir about every 5 minutes or so. I try to keep mixing the surface foamy stuff into the wort. Live and learn!

its not really stirring, but im constantly scrapping the sides of the pot with hot wort and my big spoon to keep the gunk off. It helps with cleanup. Other than that, stirring is unnecessary, the boiling process stirs it for you

I stir at least every 10 minutes, because I use hops in mesh bags and I want to agitate a bit more actively to get the wort to circulate through them. More like a squeeze and drain action. I also scrape the bottom while I'm at it. I occasionally get a little bit of grayish sticky residue (not burned) stuck the bottom. Kettle has a tri-ply bottom on a 3500W induction plate.

its not really stirring, but im constantly scrapping the sides of the pot with hot wort and my big spoon to keep the gunk off. It helps with cleanup. Other than that, stirring is unnecessary, the boiling process stirs it for you

Same here, I am a scraper. Will give it a quick swirl when adding hops.

Wow... I am actually trying to think of the last time I actually stirred the wort while boiling....I would say probably the last time I added sugar or extract to the boil (I am all grain).

Point being, I don't think its necessary to stir on a set scheduled besides the reasons already discussed.

I typically don't stir but when my brother is with me he stirs pretty much the whole time. I think it just comes down to personal preferences and it works either way.

I never stir.

I especially don't stir the hot break gunk from the top of the wort into the pot.

Boiling stirs the wort very well.

Yep, no more stirring for me.....however, I gotta say that my first 3 batches of Caribou Slobber were great even though I stirred them frequently. Probably the best brown ale I've ever consumed.....and I'm actually consuming one right now :mug:

I stir sporadically throught the boil if for no other reason than it makes me feel like I am brewing as opposed to just sitting there watching against boil overs.

I just help getting all the bits of hop and pushing them back into the wort ..... convinced that that fraction of an oz of crud not being in my boil is somehow going to make a difference :D

never

Edit: Not that it's bad, it just isn't necessary, and when you brew in the south in the summer do don't do unnecessary work...

Whenever I add stuff.

This. Or more specifically, anything like LME, DME, corn sugar, maltodextrin, lactose, and so on. I don't stir when I add hops, but that's just me. I know other people stir when they add hops.

Theoretically if you have an all-grain batch where you only add a bittering hop at 60 minutes and nothing else, you wouldn't ever have to stir.

And, as a side note, the reason for stirring when you add adjuncts like corn sugar or extract is to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the kettle (not much of a worry for corn sugar or lactose, but can be a big worry for liquid malt extract).

Aye, if you're adding extract that's likely to hit the bottom and burn you should def stir then. but in general, boiling stirs pretty darn good.

Latest posts

Back