Stirplate = turbo fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been making starters for a while, but recently bought my first stirplate (stirstarters.com FTW). I noticed a huge difference in the behavior of the fermentation of my latest batch; just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience after adding a stirplate to their kit.

I pitched in the early evening (day 1). The next time I checked (early evening day 2), I could see the remnants of a dropped krausen and the airlock was dead still. By all indications, the active fermentation looks done.

Airlock bubbles might not necessarily equate to fermentation, but I've always seen them on my setup in the past. I'm also used to seeing the action progress over a few days, not overnight.

If this was a healthy fermentation, I guess fast is a good thing, and I have my new stirplate to thank for it. I really need to take a gravity reading to get the whole story. But I'm just wondering if this seems at all unusual.

Details:
Beer: 6 gallons of 1.054 wort at ~68F.
Starter: 1 quart of water, 1/2 cup of light DME, 1 vial of WLP001, spun overnight.

You may have had alot more yeast than you thought you did. I saw somewhere on here where with a stirplate you could get up to 3 times more cells then just occasionally shaking it.

EDIT:

I guess Im slow, the article is in the post above.

Latest posts

Back