Stirbar issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
So I have astir at and it works like a champ. Well when I pitched the yeast I did just what you'd expect and pitched the damn bar lol. So I ordered new stirbars so I can have back ups to make another starter while this beer is fermenting. Well I got it in and it makes a rattling noise and I ordered another that's smaller so see if that fixes it and no it doesn't. They have a pivot ring on them and I don't think my other one did but I'm not sure. Anyone else have issues with noise on one versus the other?

Thanks!

If your magnet is off just a bit, those bars with the ring will make noise. I built my stir plate and my magnet is off a touch so I stopped using the bars with the rings due tot he noise.

If your magnet is off just a bit, those bars with the ring will make noise. I built my stir plate and my magnet is off a touch so I stopped using the bars with the rings due tot he noise.

Ahh ok guess I'll go buy one without the ring then as I built my stirplate and that is probably the issue as I doubt it's 100% centered and being a hard drive magnet wouldn't help either
Here's a pic of my stirplate
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446775959.331625.jpg

Ahh ok guess I'll go buy one without the ring then as I built my stirplate and that is probably the issue as I doubt it's 100% centered and being a hard drive magnet wouldn't help either
Here's a pic of my stirplate
View attachment 314145

yeah the harddrive magnets arent balanced I have the same issues with mine... I used an old plastic blank cd holder for a case...

yeah the harddrive magnets arent balanced I have the same issues with mine... I used an old plastic blank cd holder for a case...

Yea glad I bought the bars through Amazon and will get a refund. I bought 2 different sizes thinking that was the issue till I asked on here. Got the bars with no pivot ring and it's quiet again. So happy

In case you forget and dump your stir bar with the yeast cake you can use a cheap little magnet to pull the stir bar up the side of the starter container to remove the stir bar before pitching.

Oh wow, that is so simple and would work perfectly. Thanks! I will do that in the future

In case you forget and dump your stir bar with the yeast cake you can use a cheap little magnet to pull the stir bar up the side of the starter container to remove the stir bar before pitching.

Perfect
Just perfect

Thanks for this idea

Cabin

Put a sticky note on your fermentor when you pitch the stir bar. Necessary if you don't plan to harvest the yeast.

Lot easier than taking a sink drain apart to retrieve the stir bar.

Those bars with the ring make noise even on real professional stirplates. I think it's related to the bottom of the flasks not being perfectly smooth.

I have a large 6 position stirplate and a Cole Parmer heated stirplate that both give the same ringing that my home made one does with the raised ring bars.

Latest posts

Back