Stir plate learnings :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w9nl

Reaction score
Put together a stir plate last week and tried it out on some old yeast I had gotten from one of my primary's. Never really intended on using this particular yeast as it had been sitting in a jar for probably a few months. So anyway I went thru the normal steps and made a starter and put it on my stir plate. It surprised me in that the yeast appeared to be ok yet. Still didn't want to use it so I just dumped it in the kitchen sink last night and was going to make a new starter for an IPA I'm going to brew tomorrow. So anyway I'm looking for the stir bar and I can't find the dang thing. Got thinking and grabbed my flashlight and looked in the kitchen sink drain (with garbage disposal) and sure enough...there is my stir bar. A little chewed up from someone running the disposal but still seems to be ok to use.

I can totally see myself doing this again so I think I'd better pick up a few more stir bars :)

Get a magnet to hold the stir bar while you pour. Still not a bad idea to have extras though.

ksut1547 said:
Get a magnet to hold the stir bar while you pour. Still not a bad idea to have extras though.

I did that exact thing when I was testing it out with just water. I just totally had a dumb moment!

Good call! Very easy to forget about that stir bar. You need a few extra for garbage disposal incidents and for when you dump it into the fermentor and have to wait a few weeks to get it back out!

Latest posts

Back