Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Should you keep your water and grains at constant temperature on heat when steeping, or get the water to temp (>170º) then take off heat and let grains steep for 20-30 minutes?

I would think that steeping would be off heat, but steeping for 20-30 minutes makes me think that it needs to be on heat. Help!

Keep the temp constant if you can, and preferably below 170. I've also heard of people who add the grain bag to their water while heating and remove it when they hit 170. This approach seems like it would yield less flavor/color from the grain, but I've never tried it.

it is a matter of preferance.... I perfer to keep the grains on the heat I shoot for around 155 ( good practice for AG brewing ) but I have read people getting there water up to 168-170 adding their grains and setting the container in the oven to let them steep

all I can say is to try it and see if it works for you !

I put my grains in the water cold then heat to 150-155. Hold there for 30 minutes then drain through a seive and rinse with water from a teakettle heated to 170.

I place room temp tap water into my pot, place my grains in a grain bag, put the pot on med. heat (gas stove), I poke a metal skewer thru the bag JUST below the knot on my grain bag, then place the pointed end of the skewer over the rim and under a handle of the brew pot, bring my water up to 150*-160* and lower my flame a little to maintain the temp for the 30-45 min. steep. Once in a while I'll "tea bag" the grain bag during the steep and in the end I place the grain bag in my strainer over the pot and sparge the bag with a pot of water from my coffee maker (about 170*), SLOWLY trickling the water over the entire surface of the bag and let drain while increasing my flame to hi to start getting the water up to boil. Also the loop in the end of the skewer holds my floating thermometer perfectly on the vertical right next to the grain bag!

So yes, maintain the steeping temp! You can just put the grain bag in the pot and let it sit on the bottom of the pot if you occasionally stir and move the bag around so as not to sit directly over the heat for long periods of time.

Hope this helps!

Could I use a stainless pot with a steamer insert, with enough water to reach the grain bag? That way the bag never touches the bottom.

Back