Steeping time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this recipe on the 'net from BYO Magazine from 1997 and was struck by the short steeping time. Most recipes I've seen call for steeping for 30 to 60 minutes. Does anybody have an idea as to why this only calls for 15 minutes?

Interestingly, all the recipes have what seem to me like short steeping times. I only noticed one recipe - for a Belgian Stong Ale - that went over 30 minutes. Is this a case of 'this is the way we used to do it but we do it different now' or am I missing something?

NORTHERN INDIA PALE ALE

5 gallons, extract/specialty grains

Will Holway, Ken Bustinski, & Scott Law
Wind River Brewing
Eden Prairie, Minn.

"Unlike many India pale ales, which lack the strength of the original IPA recipes, ours measures up. Its malty richness and assertive hop punch are guaranteed to please."

Ingredients:

6 lbs. gold light malt extract
3.3 lbs. amber light malt extract
0.5 lb. crystal malt, 50° Lovibond
0.5 lb. toasted malt, 25° Lovibond
2 oz. Cascade hops (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
1 oz. Willamette hops (4.8% alpha acid), for 5 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings hops (5.5% alpha acid), for 5 min.
Wyeast 1098 (British ale)

Step by Step:

Heat 3.5 gals. of water to 170° F, pour grains into steeping bag and add to water for 15 minutes. Remove grains and add malt extract and 1 oz. of Cascade hops. When wort begins to boil, add another 1 oz. of Cascade hops. Boil 55 minutes and add Willamette and East Kent Goldings hops. Boil 5 more minutes. Total boil is 60 minutes. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Top off to 5 gals. Add yeast and ferment 10 to 14 days. Bottle or transfer to secondary when fermentation is complete. Prime with corn sugar. Drink and enjoy in moderation!​

Fifteen minutes in water starting at 170° would do it. Personally I would stay away from the 170° recommendation. If my thermometer was off the steep could be over that temperature and extract tannins from the grain hulls.
I would do a 20 to 30 minute steep starting with 165° water.

I've even steeped at 160F for 30 minutes & sparged to recipe volume. The higher the steep temp,the lower the steep time. I'd stay away from that high temp though. Tannins are not good.

I've been doing 30 mins at 155. That just seems to me the time i've seen most other people post.

I partial mash at 152-155F most of the time. Steeping can go to 160 just fine though,as you're just soaking the already converted sugars out of them.

I started with Northern Brewer kits and they say about 150 degrees for 20 minutes. I have read that the time and temperature are not critical so I started putting the grains in when the water was hot. I then let the temperature rise to 170 degrees and 20 minutes. If the temperature gets to 170 before 20 minutes I just lower the heat. The time and temperature come together pretty close and I have had great results.

As far as tannin extraction you need temperatures AND ph levels. The ph levels required to extract the tannins are unlikely to be achieved in homebrewing, so this is not a big concern. Though I would still try to keep the temperature below 170.

IMO, 20 minutes is enough, 30 minutes is safe, longer is unnecessary.

PH is a function of grain amount vs water amount. It doesn't have to be commercial levels to get a high PH. It also involves the PH of the water itself.

PH is a function of grain amount vs water amount. It doesn't have to be commercial levels to get a high PH. It also involves the PH of the water itself.

I am not quoting directly from a scientific source, but I have read many posts that did quote a source that state it is highly unlikely that you will get the high temperatures AND the ph levels needed to cause tannin problems in homebrewing, at least with steeping grains.

They've found tannin extraction isn't all that temp related as was previously thought. Wish I'd saved the person's source. But it's more water volume related with grain amounts. Moreso in mashing though. I try not to use more than 1.5qts water per pound of grain,& use local spring water besides.

Steeping is like making tea- it does provide color and flavor to the beer, but it doesn't need to convert so the grains don't need more than about 15-20 minutes in a steep. When you see recipes for a longer time, generally it's because it's a partial mash and the extra time is for conversion (or the recipe writer doesn't know the difference).

Either way, steeping longer won't hurt but there is also no advantage to going longer either.

Back