Steeping the grains longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUbaker

Reaction score
Can i over steep the grains?

Instead of steeping for 20 minutes can i just let it go for 40 minutes?

Why?

If you accidentally did, no problem. But if on purpose, I ask why?
You're not converting sugars (like all-grain), you're imparting color and flavor.

longer probably won't make any difference. Whatever floats your boat.

i always do 20-30 min then a 10 min sparge out.What can it hurt except maximize the efficiency?

i always do 20-30 min then a 10 min sparge out.What can it hurt except maximize the efficiency?

Well, there isn't any "efficiency" with steeping grains. It's like making tea. Once you've extracted the color and flavor, there isn't any benefit to steeping longer. 20 minutes is enough.

But you won't hurt during it longer if you have the time and inclination. You can steep for two hours if you want to and have nothing better to do.

Oh i meant getting all the flavor or color being efficient.Steeping tea longer gives more taste but can also yeild tannins if steepd too long unlike malt which i know has to be above 180 to yeild tannins. Or overcrushed grains.

Back