Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatrider

Reaction score
New home brewer here!

Is there is general rule for the amount of specialty grains to use when steeping for a 1 gallon extract batch? I am doing a pale ale today and I bought 2 ounces of Victory (advised by my LHBS). Sound like the right amount?

10-15% total of specialty and crystal/caramel malt in an extract recipe is about the limit. 2 ounces of Victory in a gallon batch is fine.

Now Victory should be ideally mashed instead of merely steeped...

10-15% total of specialty and crystal/caramel malt in an extract recipe is about the limit. 2 ounces of Victory in a gallon batch is fine.

Now Victory should be ideally mashed instead of merely steeped...

Ok, I'll remember that next time. Thanks!

Can I do a mash with them (opposed to steeping) and then incorporate the extract when I'm ready for boil?

Sure!

2 oz is such a small amount, isn't there anything else to add, while you're at it?

Just add 2 oz of 2-row and mash the 4 oz together in a pint of water in a small pot or small stainless mixing bowl. Place in a prewarmed, but turned off oven. Check the temp, oven thermostats are notoriously inexact. Strain through a sieve or colander, sparge the same way.

No need to wait you can start your brew and add the lautered wort from the mash once it's done. It only needs to be pasteurized at 165F.

Sure!

2 oz is such a small amount, isn't there anything else to add, while you're at it?

Just add 2 oz of 2-row and mash the 4 oz together in a pint of water in a small pot or small stainless mixing bowl. Place in a prewarmed, but turned off oven. Check the temp, oven thermostats are notoriously inexact. Strain through a sieve or colander, sparge the same way.

No need to wait you can start your brew and add the lautered wort from the mash once it's done. It only needs to be pasteurized at 165F.

Yes, I can do that. Thanks for the help!

I might make a suggestion. If you're going to the trouble to control temp for a mash for 4 oz of grain why not just do a BIAB all grain batch? For one gallon you're only talking about 2 lbs of grain or so. Stick the whole pot in the oven.

I might make a suggestion. If you're going to the trouble to control temp for a mash for 4 oz of grain why not just do a BIAB all grain batch? For one gallon you're only talking about 2 lbs of grain or so. Stick the whole pot in the oven.

Now that is the best idea so far!

I just did a extract kit with about 2.75lbs of specialty grains (Northern Brewer Breakfast Stout) and I did a full boil... I heated the water to 154° and held for about 20 minutes, then "steeped" the grains for another 10 minutes... So kinda mini-mash?

The recipe has OG 1.068 but I ended up with 1.084! This has happened the last few batches... higher gravity than expected, the only thing I presume is I am getting more sugars off the grain this way. I'm not complaining!

I just did a extract kit with about 2.75lbs of specialty grains (Northern Brewer Breakfast Stout) and I did a full boil... I heated the water to 154° and held for about 20 minutes, then "steeped" the grains for another 10 minutes... So kinda mini-mash?

The recipe has OG 1.068 but I ended up with 1.084! This has happened the last few batches... higher gravity than expected, the only thing I presume is I am getting more sugars off the grain this way. I'm not complaining!

If you didn't use base malt with your specialty grains, there would be no conversion so it'd still be a steep. I don't know why your OG was so high- even if you did mash the grain, that wouldn't happen. Possibly a measurement error?

If you didn't use base malt with your specialty grains, there would be no conversion so it'd still be a steep. I don't know why your OG was so high- even if you did mash the grain, that wouldn't happen. Possibly a measurement error?

I have no clue... I measured at calibrated temp of 60° and although it's been a little while since I have calibrated it, it usually was 1.000 in H20 when tested. I'll check when I get home.

Steeping grains as follows. I am still learning and do not know which grains contribute fermentable sugars vs those that do not...

- 1.25 lbs English Roasted Barley
- 1 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.4 lbs Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
- 0.35 lbs English Chocolate Malt

I have no clue... I measured at calibrated temp of 60° and although it's been a little while since I have calibrated it, it usually was 1.000 in H20 when tested. I'll check when I get home.

Steeping grains as follows. I am still learning and do not know which grains contribute fermentable sugars vs those that do not...

- 1.25 lbs English Roasted Barley
- 1 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.4 lbs Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
- 0.35 lbs English Chocolate Malt

Those are all steeping grains- you'll get some color, flavor, and fermentable sugars, but not a ton.

Maybe you added extract, or water to the post-boiled wort, and didn't stir well enough to thoroughly incorporate the heavier wort with the water. That's a common occurrence. Generally, with extract batches, if you use the ingredients and the proper (exact) amount of water to equal exactly the batch size, you can't miss the projected OG.

Those are all steeping grains- you'll get some color, flavor, and fermentable sugars, but not a ton.

Maybe you added extract, or water to the post-boiled wort, and didn't stir well enough to thoroughly incorporate the heavier wort with the water. That's a common occurrence. Generally, with extract batches, if you use the ingredients and the proper (exact) amount of water to equal exactly the batch size, you can't miss the projected OG.

I did a full boil :)

Also double checked hydrometer and spot on 1.000 in distilled water at 60 degrees.

Oh well. Its fermenting and I am a happy camper

Just another suggestion since you're new and might not have ideal equipment. When I first started brewing, I used a meat thermometer to measure my water temp so I never knew the exact temperature. General rule is that it's fine to steep at a temperature under what's recommended, but once you go over the recommendation, you can get some wonky flavors. I personally never steep above 160

Back