Steeping Extract Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iniquity

Reaction score
So here is the question and I apologize if this had been answered somewhere else, just point me in the right direction.

With kits I have used so far there is generally dry/liquid extracts and than grains for steeping prior to adding the extract malts.

Do these grains add any fermentable sugars to the wort or is it used only for color/flavor?

Can I use any grains for steeping or can only certain grains be used? What are my options and how do I know how much to add?

That's a good question! The short answer is the specialty grains provide color and flavor, and very little in the way of fermentables since the starches have already been converted in processing. Think of it like making tea- color and flavor, but little or no calories from the steep.

As far as what grains can be steeped, these are grains that have already been converted, such as crystal malt, chocolate malt, etc. Some books have lists to help with the distinction, and some software helps.

Some questions arise because steeping mimics mashing, and some grains must be mashed. Until you know which is which, you can either check with your resources or ask us. Usually, grains that are called "specialty grains" or "crystal malts" are steepable. Base grains must be mashed. Most stores refer to them this way, to help ease some of the confusion.

As far as how much to add, my advice is to follow recipes until you feel comfortable with the ingredients and what they bring to the beer. Our wiki has some practical advice like "no more than 10% of this malt".

Brewing software really helps when you begin formulating your own recipes, as do a few books like "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainascheff and John Palmer.

Recipes vary greatly by beer style, too. So while it may be fine to use 1.5 pounds of crystal malt in an Amercian amber, you wouldn't do it in a blonde ale. That's where the Classic Styles book comes in, as well as looking at other recipes for the style you like.

Excellent! I appreciate the reply it really helps to clear things up a bit. I think the biggest challenge at this point will be to figure out which grains can and should be used for steeping. I only have one question to add.

Some recipe's call for something like "Flaked Wheat" for example. Is this something that can just be added during the steeping process or does this need to be mashed also?

I hope thats not a dumb question.

Here's a good link to know if a grain should be steeped or mashed. I use it a lot when I'm formulating recipes to see what grains will give me the character I want.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

Edit: I just noticed that flaked wheat wasn't on there. I'm pretty sure that needs to be mashed.

Thank you so much for that link, you just answered a question I had in another thread! Regards, GF.

Back