Steeping Crushed Coffee Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
Coffee is going into a stout at bottling, just wondering about how much. I'm seeing most saying 6-8oz crushed/ground but I don't have a scale to measure. Would I be safe to just say a cup or less or crushed bean per 5gal?

I think the idea would be to add a concentrated coffee to your beer. Cold brewing is a great way to make coffee concentrate, I use a toddy brewer for cold concentrate and use it for iced coffees all summer long. To simulate maybe brew a double strength coffee and try that. just my 2 cents.

For an easier plan check this out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MW6JXI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the idea would be to add a concentrated coffee to your beer.

I've had great luck adding the crushed coffee directly to the beer in secondary. The coffee flavor seems to stick around longer than using cold brewed coffee, might be due to more alcohol extracted flavors. That said, you’ll need to add it 12-24 hours before bottling to give time for the coffee flavor to get into the beer. I had been using coarse crushed beans, but last time around I used whole beans which made separating beer from coffee a bit simpler. 6-8 oz of beans is a bit on the high side, but it depends on the quality/freshness of the beans, and what exactly you are going for.

Good luck.

are people using espresso beans? I was thinking about steeping some whole beans in the secondary or just put it in the primary after 4 weeks, Then add some cold steeped coffee to the bottling bucket before bottling. This way I get both the flavor and aroma. Not sure how much to use and how long to let it steep. I am planning on doing this with the Surly Bender kit the NB just released

FWIW, espresso is more of a grind than a roast. Yes, certain roasts are more conducive to espresso but espresso is largely about the consistency and size of the grinds (that and the temperature of extraction when actually making it).

I have zero experience with putting coffee in my beer but the best experience I had with drinking it I learned chilled espresso (the liquid) was put into the secondary.

FWIW, espresso is more of a grind than a roast. Yes, certain roasts are more conducive to espresso but espresso is largely about the consistency and size of the grinds (that and the temperature of extraction when actually making it).

I have zero experience with putting coffee in my beer but the best experience I had with drinking it I learned chilled espresso (the liquid) was put into the secondary.

What you say is not exactly true. I buy beans from Dunn Brothers and Green Mountain all the time. I buy WHOLE beans roasted specifically for espresso and grind them to the proper grind every time I make a batch. The beans roasted for espresso have fewer oils and less caffeine due to the prolonged roasting period. There us no reason why I couldn't take a dark espresso roast and coarsely grind it and steep it late in the process. Just wondering if people have experience doing this with their beer

your link certainly supports what you are saying. guess those roasters are just labeling it as espresso roast to keep it simple. that way they don't have to write "French Roast that can be ground real fine and used for espresso" on the bag. lol

Back