Steep temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekwaterbrew

Reaction score
Howdy guys,

Getting back into brewing and this recipe calls for aromatic malt, and flaked oats to be steeped at 170 for 30 minutes.

From what I remember, isn't that temp too high? I know its too high for mashing, but is 170 Acceptable for steeping?

Thanks!

I target 155 to 160 for steeping.
If I hit 170 it comes off the burner pronto.
170 should probably be considered the max for steeping.

Steeping grains does not require enzime activity so the only thing to watch out for is the extraction of harsh tenons from the husk which will happen at temps above 170. So keep the steep at about 165

What do you expect steeping flaked oats is going to give you? If you want mouthfeel, flavor, and some fermentables, you should mash them or you just end up with unfermentable oat starch in your wort at best.

To mash use a pound of 2-row barley malt, pale malt, or wheat malt and mash at 150°F in a large pot (2 gallon) with the oats and other specialty malts for 60'. Stick it in an oven to keep the temp. Strain, add sparge water, stir it up well, and strain again. Repeat one more time if you want.

What is everyone's thoughts if the water temp got to 178°F for a few seconds when steeping?

I always try to stay around 165°F when steeping but I stepped away to grab a beer for a few mins and it creep up to 178°F on me. I removed the bag right away and continued with my boil.

It isn't just about temperature. If your wort pH is 5.2-5.3 you wont extract tannins even at 170. Any flavor you do extract at that higher temperature will likely be much stronger though.

I'll usually steep my specialty grains at around 150/152 for a dryer taste. If I'm hopping it up, I'll go a bit higher to get a little sweetness to offset the hops.

And yes, I squeeze the grain bag.

What do you expect steeping flaked oats is going to give you? If you want mouthfeel, flavor, and some fermentables, you should mash them or you just end up with unfermentable oat starch in your wort at best.

To mash use a pound of 2-row barley malt, pale malt, or wheat malt and mash at 150°F in a large pot (2 gallon) with the oats and other specialty malts for 60'. Stick it in an oven to keep the temp. Strain, add sparge water, stir it up well, and strain again. Repeat one more time if you want.

+1 to this. Steeping flaked oats is just going to put starch into your beer. You need to mash flaked grains with base malt.

I'll usually steep my specialty grains at around 150/152 for a dryer taste. If I'm hopping it up, I'll go a bit higher to get a little sweetness to offset the hops.

And yes, I squeeze the grain bag.

Steeping temperature won't contribute to dryness or sweetness unless you're using grains that are enzymatically active in which case you would be mashing. When you're steeping all you're doing is soaking out sugars, color, and flavor that are already present in the specialty grains.

Latest posts

Back