Steep or mash Acid Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorax429

Reaction score
I am planning on trying my hand at brewing a Gose. I am still working on the recipe I am planning to use and in the course of researching this style and its recipes I had a thought occur to me regarding the acid/acidulated malt that seems to be a common component in this style. Many folks have talked about separate mini-mashes with the acid malt while others said they added the acid malt late in the mash for various though often unclear reasons.

What I was wondering since it is likely to mess with the PH of the mash if instead of including it in the mash would it be better and would it still impart the desired flavors/characteristics to the beer if it was steeped in the wort at 150/155 degrees for 20 or 30 minutes before the boil? It seems sound to me but I have never used acid malt before and never made a Gose so I was wondering what others might think of that procedure.

acid malt is useful when the grain bill is 100% Pils malt. Use it as you would use any other specialty malt, as it will lower mash PH, much like adding dark roasted malts

Some people add it late in the mash out of fear that it will throw th ph out of whack and leave them with an un-fully converted mash.
If you are planning to use large ammounts,say over 8%,I would say add some at dough in and the rest after 40 minutes. That way you should get full conversion from the major part of the mash AND from the late addition of acid malt inside of a normal 60 minute mash.

Latest posts

Back