Steep Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a bock and could use some clarification on boil times. My recipe calls for me to bring my water to 160°, turn off the heat and for 30 minutes, steep my grains. Then remove grain bag, bring water to boil, turn off heat and then add extract.

Leaving out the details of hop additions etc. it says after the wort has boiled for 60 minutes, to cool, add yeast, etc.

I'm guessing my total boil time is 90 minutes with the first 30 being where I simply steep my grains in the water?

You aren't going to boil before steeping. After you steep your grains for 30 minutes, bring your water to a boil. Once it starts to boil, take the kettle off the heat and add your extract. Return the kettle to the burner and heat to boiling. Once you get your boil going, then start your 60 min timer.

[Bo][Rn][Ez] said:
You aren't going to boil before steeping. After you steep your grains for 30 minutes, bring your water to a boil. Once it starts to boil, take the kettle off the heat and add your extract. Return the kettle to the burner and heat to boiling. Once you get your boil going, then start your 60 min timer.

Excellent. Thank you.

Back