Steaming Crabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are better ways to eliminate crabs. Best to talk to a urologist or dermotologist about that one.

I debated going there

something along the lines of "as long as they're blue and not crotch crabs"

but him being a Marylander, the odds were 2 to 1 he had blue

A few giggles and this turned into a snore fest at the speed of light.

Steaming crabs = recipes, seasoning discussion, condiment, friends over, etc.

One of the worst thread titles ever.

THAT said.

I have boiled Turkey carcasses, crabs and shrimp, potatoes and corn, and lots of other stuff in my turkey fryer and still made good beer in it after.

THAT said.

I have boiled Turkey carcasses, crabs and shrimp, potatoes and corn, and lots of other stuff in my turkey fryer and still made good beer in it after.

Don't forget the beer pairing.

So what you telling us is you don't want to make a crab beer??????

I have done lobsters in mine with no problems.

OK. I am JACKING this *****.

I have used several of the BULK crab boil seasoning packs with GOOD results, but I am ALWAYS apalled at the use of 2 years worth of seasonings....

I was likewise a little put off to see MSG in Zatairan's bulk boil seasoning.

Anyone boil plain and then season like hell after? Or season somewhat with an after sprinkle?

Hit the STEAMER in Gulf shores twice 2 weeks ago. Awesome steam plate of crab, mussels, big head on shrimp, smaller headless shrimp, and BALLPARK butter, lol.

I'm no pro, and I do crab legs more than crabs, but i usually just layer them in the kettle and dust a good amount of Old Bay on each layer. Nice and simple, good enough for me.

OK. I am JACKING this *****.

I have used several of the BULK crab boil seasoning packs with GOOD results, but I am ALWAYS apalled at the use of 2 years worth of seasonings....

I was likewise a little put off to see MSG in Zatairan's bulk boil seasoning.

Anyone boil plain and then season like hell after? Or season somewhat with an after sprinkle?

Hit the STEAMER in Gulf shores twice 2 weeks ago. Awesome steam plate of crab, mussels, big head on shrimp, smaller headless shrimp, and BALLPARK butter, lol.

That sounds,....disgusting.

I can tolerate a pound or two of Alaskan King legs boiled with salt and pepper, cracked and dipped in garlic butter but, for some reason, the bodies of all crab types just put me off. Too much work for too little and the green and yellow foamy fat poo turns my stomach.

I'm no pro, and I do crab legs more than crabs, but i usually just layer them in the kettle and dust a good amount of Old Bay on each layer. Nice and simple, good enough for me.

Yeah, the huge bags come out too spicy for my kids, and a hair too salty, but otherwise mouth meltingly good.

I LOVE some snow crab legs! Most under-rated crab IMHO.

More meat for less work. Not back fin meat, but good in a different way and OH SO TASTY!!

I have found with crab legs, that seasoning a butter with cajun or old bay has great effect on plain boiled crab.

A cool chick also turned me onto dipping plain crab in lime juice and black pepper. Vietnamese style.

That sounds,....disgusting.

I can tolerate a pound or two of Alaskan King legs boiled with salt and pepper, cracked and dipped in garlic butter but, for some reason, the bodies of all crab types just put me off. Too much work for too little and the green and yellow foamy fat poo turns my stomach.

Just when I was tempted to try eating crabs again (not a fan of seafood), Gila happens.

Thanks buddy. Good lookin' out.

Funny that this thread came up. I've been watching the grocery store for the past two weeks, in hopes that crab legs will go on sale. Not that I'm cheap, but I do like to get 10-15 lbs at a time, and invite a few people over. Always a good excuse for a get together if the crab legs are selling for $6.99/lb.

I'm overdue for a crab leg feast

Just when I was tempted to try eating crabs again (not a fan of seafood), Gila happens.

Thanks buddy. Good lookin' out.

crab.jpg

Funny that this thread came up. I've been watching the grocery store for the past two weeks, in hopes that crab legs will go on sale. Not that I'm cheap, but I do like to get 10-15 lbs at a time, and invite a few people over. Always a good excuse for a get together if the crab legs are selling for $6.99/lb.

I'm overdue for a crab leg feast

For variety, I occasionally have a crab cake party.

Have everyone bring a lb of crab of whatever variety. Everybody shell it and a few key people mix up the cakes

crushed saltines
parsley
tabasco
egg(s)
old bay
lemon juice
crab
diced garlic

mix into a reasonable paste and pan fry in a little oil.

Mayonnaise
cayenne
finely diced bell pepper
lemon juice
salt

mixed thououghly into a pinkish sauce.

serve

soak up the happy vibe

:mug:

I debated going there

something along the lines of "as long as they're blue and not crotch crabs"

but him being a Marylander, the odds were 2 to 1 he had blue

Well... depends on which part of Maryland. They are known to have the other sort there as well.

Damn, I wanna make a crab beer. I wonder how little Old Bay I should put in it so it doesnt overpower. And now that I think on it, I believe I thought up a Old Bay IPA in late July. I think I need to revisit the idea this spring for sampling this summer.

Well... depends on which part of Maryland. They are known to have the other sort there as well.

Damn, I wanna make a crab beer. I wonder how little Old Bay I should put in it so it doesnt overpower. And now that I think on it, I believe I thought up a Old Bay IPA in late July. I think I need to revisit the idea this spring for sampling this summer.

THIS^!!!!

Kinda like a bacon beer need not have actual bacon. Just some smoked malt and maybe maple extract or something.

An old bay beer would taste like crabs, just like plain yellow mustard tastes like hotdogs to me. (not gonna make a hot dog or mustard beer)

Cooking in your pot is OK, just clean well afterwards.
After cooking your crabs, try this:

King Crab Cocktail

Solid Ingredients:
3C or about 1½lb of shelled king crab meat
½C of fine chopped cilantro
1C of fine chopped bell pepper
1C of fine chopped Celery
1 small fine chopped onion
1 fine minced clove of garlic
Several large spinach or butter lettuce leaves

Cocktail Sauce:
1C Ketchup
1tbsp horseradish
1tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
2tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1tsp White Pepper
1tsp black Pepper
1tsp Salt

Note: adjust ingredients to personal taste.

To make the sauce, combine the ingredients and stir to mix. Chill for at least an hour.
To assemble the crab cocktail, line the serving dish (we have large heavy glass goblets that hold about a cup and a half) with the lettuce or spinach leaves. Stir the solid ingredients into the chilled sauce, stir gently, so that the large lumps of crab meat are not broken. Carefully spoon the crab meat mixture on the greens lined dish. Serve chilled.

Option: add chilled small to medium shrimp to the mix, it adds a kind of sweetness to the dish.
We like to have several natural raw oysters with this and that makes a complete meal when served with some crusty bread or even crackers.

I wanna share a recipe. Here is another use for leftovers. Pretty much any seafood can be used, just replace the imitation with real leftover crab meat.

Seafood Lasagna

1 Whole Green Onion, Freshly Chopped
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
1/2 Cup Butter, Divided
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
8 Fluid Ounces Clam Juice
1 Pound Bay Scallop
1 Pound Small Shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined
8 ounces imitation crab
1/4 teaspoon white pepper, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
9 whole lasagna noodle, cooked and drained

1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in broth and clam juice; bring to a boil. Add the scallops, shrimp, crab and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are firm and opaque, stirring gently. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; set seafood aside.

2. In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Combine milk and reserved cooking liquid; gradually add to the saucepan. Add salt and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir 3/4 cup white sauce into the seafood mixture.

3. Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles; spread with half of the seafood mixture and 1-1/4 cups sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

And if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing. I like to add Mozzarella in between layers and on top and cover for all but last 10-13 minutes of baking.

Serves about 12. And of course, if you use the no bake lasagna noodles, use more broth.

I wanna share a recipe. Here is another use for leftovers. Pretty much any seafood can be used, just replace the imitation with real leftover crab meat.

Seafood Lasagna

1 Whole Green Onion, Freshly Chopped
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
1/2 Cup Butter, Divided
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
8 Fluid Ounces Clam Juice
1 Pound Bay Scallop
1 Pound Small Shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined
8 ounces imitation crab
1/4 teaspoon white pepper, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
9 whole lasagna noodle, cooked and drained

1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in broth and clam juice; bring to a boil. Add the scallops, shrimp, crab and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are firm and opaque, stirring gently. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; set seafood aside.

2. In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Combine milk and reserved cooking liquid; gradually add to the saucepan. Add salt and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir 3/4 cup white sauce into the seafood mixture.

3. Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles; spread with half of the seafood mixture and 1-1/4 cups sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

And if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing. I like to add Mozzarella in between layers and on top and cover for all but last 10-13 minutes of baking.

Serves about 12. And of course, if you use the no bake lasagna noodles, use more broth.

Dude, this looks so close to my Seafood Lasagna Recipe! :mug:
I also have:
1 med onion, sliced thin and slightly carmalized
1/2C thin sliced wild mushrooms
sometimes about a cup of chopped fresh steamed asparagus
and then we normally make a mixture of parmesano, ricotta, oregano and little bit of basil for our cheese sauce.

We do a variation of this with savory crepes and roll them up with the seafood and sauce, kind of like an enchilada but then we serve with a healthy scoop of thick homemade cream of wild mushroom sauce.

My mom and I adapted one she found somewhere or other. We added the clam juice and changed the sauce a little by taste. I may have to try your additions. sounds delicious.

THAT said.

Yeah, well it was on a whim and I thought it would attract attention, and it did. I will say thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I can happily steam some delicious Maryland blue crabs in my keggle.

The true, and I mean true Maryland way of steaming crabs is a combination of beer, vinegar, butter, and a dash of old bay in the bottom. Then as you layer your freshly caught live blue crabs. Sprinkle a good amount of old bay on the crabs on each layer. Then pack a good dozen or so ears of corn on top, do not shuck before hand, otherwise the corn turns out too mealy.

Yeah, well it was on a whim and I thought it would attract attention, and it did. I will say thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I can happily steam some delicious Maryland blue crabs in my keggle.

The true, and I mean true Maryland way of steaming crabs is a combination of beer, vinegar, butter, and a dash of old bay in the bottom. Then as you layer your freshly caught live blue crabs. Sprinkle a good amount of old bay on the crabs on each layer. Then pack a good dozen or so ears of corn on top, do not shuck before hand, otherwise the corn turns out too mealy.

Lol, good man!

Tons of good info on here, glad to see the OP didn't creep away, tail tucked ;)

What time is dinner?

Lol, good man!

Tons of good info on here, glad to see the OP didn't creep away, tail tucked ;)

Hey, born and raised in Maryland, and I spent most of my childhood in Deal, which is about a good thirty min drive outside of Annapolis. Around there its mostly a fishing based community with lots of traditions and years of experience. I can also say that you can't find better rock fish from anywhere else. Lots of good memories of crabbing early in the morning with the smell of rotting chicken haha, man those were the good old days.

Johnnyhitch1 said:
NO.....Old Bay!!!

What the hell is J.O!?!

Back on topic, been meaning to crab bake for a while now!!
Nothing better than crabs hammers beers and...ermm OLD BAY!!

Definitely J.O. and only "chicken neckers" use mallets!

I have never used a mallet and I haven't used Old Bay since 1983. Mix my own herbs and spices and beer!

I am MUCH the same as you!!!!!!!!

"MUCH" is because there are 3 pre mixed spices I use rather than re-invent the wheel.

CAVENDER'S GREEK

Slap your Mama CAJUN

and OLD BAY

That said...I mix my own Emeril's essence, and most anything and everything else.

Care to share a recipe?

hmmmmmm...
http://www.bluecrab.info/jo.html

JO
Ingredients: Salt, Mustard, Red Pepper, Celery, Paprika, Cracked Red Pepper,
Black Pepper, Thyme, Ginger, Laurel Leaves, Mace, Cinnamon.

Old Bay
celery salt (salt, celery seed), spices (including mustard, red pepper, black
pepper, bay (laurel) leaves, cloves, allspice [pimento], ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon), and paprika

http://www.food.com/recipe/old-bay-seasoning-copycat-189447 (couldn't find anything official, but this is one link that is interesting and contains a few more ingredients)

They are different, but contain most of the same ingredients. No MSG in either thankfully.

I am MUCH the same as you!!!!!!!!

"MUCH" is because there are 3 pre mixed spices I use rather than re-invent the wheel.

CAVENDER'S GREEK

Slap your Mama CAJUN

and OLD BAY

That said...I mix my own Emeril's essence, and most anything and everything else.

Care to share a recipe?

Truthfully, there is no set recipe. It depends upon what flavors we are in the mood for; Thai, Mediterranean, New England, Cajun, Continental or just simple Sea Salt and Pepper. If we go spicy, Like Thai or Cajun, I usually have to make 2 separate batches, mild for her and spicy for me, so a fixed recipe is a little difficult. Hers tends to end up about 1/4 as spicy mine. I guess it is best to say; to taste.

When I said I have never used a mallet, I’m including against some the giant King Crabs we get up here as well. Mostly a nut cracker although with some of the bigger crabs a pot holder to hold the critter to keep from tearing up our hands. My favorite and my Wife’s is Snow Crab. In fact my Wife is a crab junky; it is probably her favorite food in the whole world!

Truthfully, there is no set recipe. It depends upon what flavors we are in the mood for; Thai, Mediterranean, New England, Cajun, Continental or just simple Sea Salt and Pepper. If we go spicy, Like Thai or Cajun, I usually have to make 2 separate batches, mild for her and spicy for me, so a fixed recipe is a little difficult. Hers tends to end up about 1/4 as spicy mine. I guess it is best to say; to taste.

I hear you! I like it HOT. You don't make any blends to have on hand?

My favorite and my Wife’s is Snow Crab. In fact my Wife is a crab junky; it is probably her favorite food in the whole world!

I say that Snow Crab is the best, and people look at me and say things like "It doesn't have back fin meat" and I take a huge trident and shove it through their face.......no, wait, that is just what I want to do. I do restrain myself.

I don't know why more people don't get this.

Every once in a while I throw a crab party or a crab cake party. Everybody bring 2 lbs of snow crab.

Invariably, some well meaning non foodie gets some KING CRAB! Ooooohh!

And I am forced to say that it is not as good as snow crab. And they explain that it has KING in the name because it is better.

I explain that BUDWEISER claims that it is king too, and is not better than Bell's 2 hearted.

Then they say that Budweiser indeed is KING of beers, and is, therefore, better than Bell's 2 hearted.

THAT, my friends, is when the trident actually does come out.

For those of you that actually catch your own blues... any tips on snagging them? i am going to be in an area where i'll be able to try for some...

Back