Steaming Crabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CD, the closest I have to a blend on hand would be:
Parsley
Bay leaf
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
fresh ground black pepper
sea salt

sometimes included
paprika
mustard
celery seed/salt

I use this as a base for alot of recipes.

CD, the closest I have to a blend on hand would be:
Parsley
Bay leaf
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
fresh ground black pepper
sea salt

sometimes included
paprika
mustard
celery seed/salt

I use this as a base for alot of recipes.

Definitely a nice base. I use garlic and onion powder in almost everything, even if it has fresh onion and garlic in it.

Melana said:
For those of you that actually catch your own blues... any tips on snagging them? i am going to be in an area where i'll be able to try for some...

Do you know anything at all about crabbing? Or do you just wanna give it a shot?

For those of you that actually catch your own blues... any tips on snagging them? i am going to be in an area where i'll be able to try for some...

When I lived in the Virgina Beach area in the first half of the '80s, we used to toss out chicken necks on a piece of string. Leave it sit for a few minutes and then just slowly drag it back into shore. We would sometimes get 2 or 3 of those guys refusing to let go of that neck. A few hours of this, fill a bucket or two and head back to the house. Sometimes do a little surfcasting and bring home some bluefish or flounder or something, also.

When I lived in the Virgina Beach area in the first half of the '80s, we used to toss out chicken necks on a piece of string. Leave it sit for a few minutes and then just slowly drag it back into shore. We would sometimes get 2 or 3 of those guys refusing to let go of that neck. A few hours of this, fill a bucket or two and head back to the house. Sometimes do a little surfcasting and bring home some bluefish or flounder or something, also.

But if you do the chicken necking, then you have to use a mallet. :(

;)

What Subsailor said to do is the easiest cheapest way to give it a try. Don't be too disappointed if you don't catch anything crabs have been slow this year. But find a pier, tie a chicken neck to some string and throw it overboard. When the string starts to move very slowly bring it back in then dip them up with a net.

BigDaddyBeard said:
What Subsailor said to do is the easiest cheapest way to give it a try. Don't be too disappointed if you don't catch anything crabs have been slow this year. But find a pier, tie a chicken neck to some string and throw it overboard. When the string starts to move very slowly bring it back in then dip them up with a net.

Will do!

<---- lives in Indiana, Never had a proper boiled crab.
Guessing the crab cakes I have had are imposters compared to true coast type.

I cant get 12 ears of sweet corn for a $1 though!!
(grocery store crab goes for about $12 a lb.)

Yellowirenut said:
<---- lives in Indiana, Never had a proper boiled crab.
Guessing the crab cakes I have had are imposters compared to true coast type.

I cant get 12 ears of sweet corn for a $1 though!!
(grocery store crab goes for about $12 a lb.)

The true way to enjoy a blue crab is to steam it never boil (that is for the mud bugs).

Thanks guys. Now I have to go find a net, some line, and bait for the weekend. Add that to my list of other things (buckets to collect choke cherries, etc) and my relaxing weekend went out the window.

Thanks guys. Now I have to go find a net, some line, and bait for the weekend. Add that to my list of other things (buckets to collect choke cherries, etc) and my relaxing weekend went out the window.

Oh.....crabbing is relaxing!

I crab out of the gulf, but I do catch Blue crabs.

I use a crab pot. Put said chicken necks in the basket, toss it off of a dock, come back in 3 hours, hopefully crabs.

Back