Steam Kettle BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orsonwells

Reaction score
I wanted to move from extract to AG cheaply. Came across this 20 gallon steam kettle for a great price. I don't have a whole lot of free time so I figured it would be a good investment since I don't have to build anything. It was 12kw and 3 phase but I converted it over to single phase and disconnected one of the elements so it's now 8kw. Still brings 10 gallons from 70F to 155F in about 14 minutes.

I'll post more pictures as I get the bag and pulley done and get my first brew going, but here's one for now. Don't mind the mess of wires in the background, they arent hooked up to anything right now.

2013-03-12_16-04-45_410.jpg

Very nice kettle! Where did you find that beauty? And as for a pulley, be sure to have a lock mechanism feature...a standard pulley doesnt work so great.

I got it from a restaurant auction. Good tip on the pulley, I have a small block and tackle I was going to use but it doesn't lock, I was just going to tie it off. I'm probably going to work on it tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some more pics up.

A rope ratchet is a great idea! I may pick one up. In the mean time I've been trying to clean off what looks like fryer grease from the inside of the draw off and on the back of the kettle. So far I've tried degreaser, vinegar and cascade. Hopefully I can get it clean soon so I can get a batch going.

If I just layed a voile curtain in there, mash, and then strap the top together to lift it out, would that work for now?

If I just layed a voile curtain in there, mash, and then strap the top together to lift it out, would that work for now?

Yes, that can be done and will work, and it could quickly get a little messy...however I think you are better off with a bag...PM sent with a discount offer since you seem like a nice guy....

Overall, the kettle is very clean except for the top of the inside of the draw off drain and the back side of the kettle. It seems like those areas werent cleaned well during most of its 6 years of life. I managed to scrape most of the heavy crap from the inside of the draw off with a piece of wood lath. I figured the wood wouldnt scratch it. There's just residue there now which is still pretty hard to get off. I spent way more time cleaning these spots then I spent on wiring this thing.

The draw off is a little too low to drain straight into a carboy so I'll have to raise the kettle about 6in or so.

photobucket-36491-1363529008385.jpg

bb39a394-dc9f-409a-8be6-1a5e5aa14f6c.jpg

photobucket-35665-1363529044943.jpg

photobucket-60127-1363529075131.jpg

Any updates? How is it to brew with? I'm considering a similar set up with a 10 gallon kettle. Thanks

No matter what setup you go with, if you're going BIAB, get a wilserbrewer bag. Very well made and he's a good guy! Worth every penny

I found a 10 gallon kettle that I converted to single phase and disconnected one element to run at 30 amps inspired by this thread. Brewed a 5 gallon Biab for the first time today, it went well except for a boil over. Probably obvious to everyone but me but a steam kettle acts more like propane system than my submerged element system, it heats up quickly . I like the speed of the steam kettle, it held the mash temp incredibly well. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393725327.640886.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393725335.865906.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393725345.176473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No heat while mashing, I did over shoot my mash temp, once it starts heating it moves. I blended cold water to hit it. The heat retained in the kettle held the temp for 60 minutes. I imagine that could vary based on the kettle and ambient conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

18 months later and I finally got a chance to brew with the kettle. Made a 10 gal Belgian triple. Worked great, I don't think it lost a degree over the hour mash. It really heats up quickly, barely had time to get my grains ready before it had 14 gallons up to temp.

Back