Stc-1000+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick question...

I have an Arduino UNO and several STC-1000's that are the correct version for reprogramming, but I am not sure I know which wires to connect to the UNO for programming. Can someone list the pins?

Just a quick question...

I have an Arduino UNO and several STC-1000's that are the correct version for reprogramming, but I am not sure I know which wires to connect to the UNO for programming. Can someone list the pins?

alphaomega has the walk through on his github page it shows all of the connections.

Very excited to start using stc1000+ and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this. Apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it so here goes...I have a hardware question. I saw earlier posts which pointed out the proper boards have the first 2 blocks closer together, the 5 pin programming points and the small black sensor. The stc1000 I have meets all those requirements and states a400_p, but has a version of 1.1. In looking at the user manual, it only states a400_p and not specifically v1.0. Could you please take a look at the board I have attached and let me know if this will work? Thanks!

20141201_210036.jpg

Very excited to start using stc1000+ and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this. Apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it so here goes...I have a hardware question. I saw earlier posts which pointed out the proper boards have the first 2 blocks closer together, the 5 pin programming points and the small black sensor. The stc1000 I have meets all those requirements and states a400_p, but has a version of 1.1. In looking at the user manual, it only states a400_p and not specifically v1.0. Could you please take a look at the board I have attached and let me know if this will work? Thanks!

That is a flashable unit, you're good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you're good to go. Looking at the previous pictures posted by disney7, it looks like that board has the 5 soldering points you need, which the 1.1 version board did not. Give it a shot! If it works, you will be very happy you tried STC-1000+!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f258/stc-1000-a-464348/index12.html#post6023975

Thanks wilconrad and barrooze! I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. Hopefully my thrown together cable, with parts out of an original xbox I had lying around, will work!

20141201_221511.jpg

Success! I was a bit nervous holding the pins in case I broke contact midway through writing the firmware, but no issues. Thanks for a great product and making it so easy to implement!

20141203_221347.jpg

This may have been answered, but I've searched in vain...

What kind of sensor do these units use? I ordered some stuff from Auberins recently, and got a PT100/RTD probe and once I installed it and was about to connect it to my ST1000+ it suddenly hit me that it may not be compatible. A doah! moment.
I could not find anything online that clearly states what the sensor is.

If you googled 'stc-1000 sensor' you would have found it, but I can tell you right now that the RTD won't work. You need a 10k NTC with at beta value of 3435.

If you googled 'stc-1000 sensor' you would have found it, but I can tell you right now that the RTD won't work. You need a 10k NTC with at beta value of 3435.

Hmmm, I tried 4 or 5 different things, and all I came up with was NTC, and could not find anything useful on that either. Guess I was using the wrong words, or quotes, or no - or who the heck knows what. I know I got frustrated, then debated posting here, to avoid embarrassment. Oh well. Thanks.

I'm tying to pimp out my Fast Fermenter with a threaded probe instead of a thermowell and default STC-1000 sensor. I guess not.

Hmmm, I tried 4 or 5 different things, and all I came up with was NTC, and could not find anything useful on that either. Guess I was using the wrong words, or quotes, or no - or who the heck knows what. I know I got frustrated, then debated posting here, to avoid embarrassment. Oh well. Thanks.

I'm tying to pimp out my Fast Fermenter with a threaded probe instead of a thermowell and default STC-1000 sensor. I guess not.

Those NTCs are on eBay and quite cheap if bought by 5- or 10-piece lots, or larger. You need to put them into a housing of some sort, though.

Sorry, I don't want to be too harsh. You said you searched in vain what sensor it uses, which I thought you really couldn't have. What you really wanted to know was if you could use that probe, which is not really the same thing. I mean, it is a legitimate question.
You're not going to drill into your fermenter, right? I'd say go with the thermowell or taped to the side.

Those NTCs are on eBay and quite cheap if bought by 5- or 10-piece lots, or larger. You need to put them into a housing of some sort, though.

Don't need the NTC, I have that. I was trying to use the threaded probe I bought until I realized it might be the wrong type, and in fact is wrong.

Sorry, I don't want to be too harsh. You said you searched in vain what sensor it uses, which I thought you really couldn't have. What you really wanted to know was if you could use that probe, which is not really the same thing. I mean, it is a legitimate question.
You're not going to drill into your fermenter, right? I'd say go with the thermowell or taped to the side.

Not harsh at all. I really did search on google and HBT, but all I could find was NTC, and could not figure out exactly what that was, or at least not clearly. I must have used poor terms in my search. I tend to over engineer everything, and probably did here as well, trying to be specific enough to weed out the quintillion bogus hits.

The Fast Fermenter has a 1/2 NPT threaded port, and I was trying to use a screw in probe in place of the threaded brass thermowell that came with it. So now that I've got a $35 RTD probe, I can't decide which way to go. My STC-1000+ units are in use on my fermentation cabinet (this fermenter is too big to fit in that), and I have 4 non-flashable ones, and no interest in programming ones I don't have. I may just go with a 'cheap' omega PID step controller. I use them in my business (and my mash tun), and can run/program/monitor the steps from a PC USB port in a matter of seconds. A bit pricy at $110, but I'll spend a third of that on a pre-programmed STC-1000+, and still can't use the lappy to program it. That's requires more hardware and a learning curve. In spite of working with electronics since the early 70's I'm far behind 'modern' stuff being used here! The last compiler I used was for 6809's. Most of you probably never heard of them! And Fortan & assembly on my TRS-80 Model 4, but I digress.

Not harsh at all. I really did search on google and HBT, but all I could find was NTC, and could not figure out exactly what that was, or at least not clearly. I must have used poor terms in my search. I tend to over engineer everything, and probably did here as well, trying to be specific enough to weed out the quintillion bogus hits.

The Fast Fermenter has a 1/2 NPT threaded port, and I was trying to use a screw in probe in place of the threaded brass thermowell that came with it. So now that I've got a $35 RTD probe, I can't decide which way to go. My STC-1000+ units are in use on my fermentation cabinet (this fermenter is too big to fit in that), and I have 4 non-flashable ones, and no interest in programming ones I don't have. I may just go with a 'cheap' omega PID step controller. I use them in my business (and my mash tun), and can run/program/monitor the steps from a PC USB port in a matter of seconds. A bit pricy at $110, but I'll spend a third of that on a pre-programmed STC-1000+, and still can't use the lappy to program it. That's requires more hardware and a learning curve. In spite of working with electronics since the early 70's I'm far behind 'modern' stuff being used here! The last compiler I used was for 6809's. Most of you probably never heard of them! And Fortan & assembly on my TRS-80 Model 4, but I digress.

I paid 6 bucks for a pro mini kit .Pro mini,breadboard jumper wires and a lap top with a usb port is all you need to program a stc1000. You will have to break out the soldering iron and download a few programs but its not that difficult.

Standing in front of it now...
Have STC-1000 probe in thermowell. STC in background is monitoring only. Not flashable, and have 3 more like it.
Bought the probe in my hand before realising it wont work with STC. Left of STC at top is an Omega as noted earlier. Forgot I had a spare at shop so all good to go now.
With 4 unflashable ones, a stc1000+ is a bit much with what I have. Yeah I can do the whole flash thing but I just cant justify that either. I wont use it for anything else, no time.
Second pic is fermenter cab. Bottom 2 are fully chiller ready with 1000+ on them, and top 2 are wrong rev, and sorta chiller ready. Chiller on lower right. Oops, forgot the controller is apart for mods.

View attachment 1417834596836.jpg

View attachment 1417835080539.jpg

Just programmed one at work. Very nice! I had an issue with the serial port selection, but after a quick google search on the error message I was in business.

Now this thing is suitable for installing directly into my kegerator!

Did mine this afternoon. Tried just pressing the connectors to the STC1000 but no joy so just tacked them on. The unit screamed while uploading and I found the temp probe had pulled out, otherwise all OK.

Thanks Alphaomega! :mug:

I've put a link for a zip file with all of the necessary files. Simply extract this zip and you can drag-drop the html file in a browser to check that it's working. After that, you can adjust default values directly in the html. While not "ideal", it DOES work and allows you to save your work/profiles for future adjustments.

http://justfortesting.byethost12.com/STC1000HexGenerator.zip
Is the editor link broken?

Would there be a problem using a rj45 network style female port and a cable to hook up to the pro mini module. Those are cheap and I already the cables.

I'm thinking http://goo.gl/6Luva7

No, there is no way that will ever work. Cat5 cable just will not do it.
Naah, seriously. I haven't done it myself, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. Pretty much any connector with at least 5 pins will probably do just fine :)
Good luck and report back if you go that route!
Cheers!

Oh, sorry.
No, anything but the A400_P is not supported. It is not something that I'm pursuing either. If some else wants to have a go at it, that would be cool, but it would probably be pretty hard (that's what she said) work, if even doable.

Oh, sorry.
No, anything but the A400_P is not supported. It is not something that I'm pursuing either. If some else wants to have a go at it, that would be cool, but it would probably be pretty hard (that's what she said) work, if even doable.

That's what I thought... Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll try another dealer.

That's what I thought... Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll try another dealer.

I have units with 1.06 software flashed already on them in stock if you are looking as well as diy kits and assembled units. Wilconrad has flashable units if you are setup to flash already and flashed units as well.

I have some links in my signature to my post in sponsor showcase if I can be of any help.

Greg

Naah, seriously. I haven't done it myself, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. Pretty much any connector with at least 5 pins will probably do just fine :)
Cheers!

Cool once I get the promini I'm doing this. Super cheap and most people have extra network cables laying around.

Cheers!

Cool once I get the promini I'm doing this. Super cheap and most people have extra network cables laying around.

Has anyone been able to get a correct version lately? I just bought two of the bad revisions from Amazon.

Both were "fulfilled by Amazon" but 2 different sellers.

One was from City Digital, nonprogrammable.
One was from Lemon Super, nonprogrammable.

:( Anyone know of a seller that has the programmable versions? I know there's a vendor here that has known good versions, but it's nearly 2x as much as Amazon and if I were just getting 1 this would be my best bet, but I'd like to bring them to my homebrew club for less.

Back