Starting timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Being relatively new to homebrewing, I have a question about yeast starter and decanting timing. I have read several of the posts on this site and others but am not sure I found an answer for my situation.

I have made two yeast starters in the past and pitched full 2L starters. I want to try to decant for my next beer. I think I understand that whole process, but my time frame is where I have questions.

I want to brew Saturday evening. I won't be able to get the 2L starter going until late Thursday afternoon. I don't have a stir plate, I cover with tin foil and swirl as often as I can. With this time frame, will I have time to cold crash and decant for a Saturday evening brew?

Thanks for any input!

I've only made starters with a stir plate, but even with that method, I don't think you'd have enough time to build up the starter, cold crash, and adequately decant. I think you'd have enough time to build up the starter and then just add the whole thing to the wort. If I'm going to brew on a Saturday, I make the starter on Tuesday and then cold crash on either Thursday night or Friday morning. I've found that at least 24 hours of cold crashing lets the yeast settle.

With such a short time frame, you may want to try the Vitality Starter method described in that article. You won't decant, but works well on short notice.

I'd prep it Thursday afternoon, swirl it as often as possible until Saturday afternoon, then stick it in the fridge, brew your beer, then decant and pitch it early Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback and info. I'm still in the doghouse from a previous Mother's Day so I probably better skip Sunday as a brew day option! Maybe I'll try the vitality starter idea.

Another rookie question. The scotch ale I'm going to brew has an OG of 1.084. Is a 2L starter using fast pitch (1.040 OG) and one wyeast smack pack going to be big enough to get the job done?

Latest posts

Back