Starting the Cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey look: a door.
EQn6Sni.jpg

Pretty cool.

Are you worried about having any kind of seal? Is the ambient temperature outside the cellar stable and cold enough that it doesnt matter?

Pretty cool.

Are you worried about having any kind of seal? Is the ambient temperature outside the cellar stable and cold enough that it doesnt matter?
The plan is to put some brush seals in to minimize the air flow. I like the look of the barn door enough to try to make it work. As it is now, the cellar temp is 63 degrees. I'll keep an eye on it over the next summer to see if temps are rising too high.

Nice! Where'd you get the barn door track hardware? I'd like to do something similar in my basement (except a false wall instead of a door).
Off the shelf at home depot. Do you mean to say you are planning a secret room? Please tell me it's a secret room.

Off the shelf at home depot. Do you mean to say you are planning a secret room? Please tell me it's a secret room.
In a way. The one end of my basement looks like this:

ibe07X1.png

The washer/dryer niche was a closet with standard scissor doors, but we bought a new set of LG's when we moved in - they stuck out an inch further than the ancient washer & dryer, which resulted in the scissor doors having to go.

When the bar's done, I want to put an old Queen Anne-style sofa (ideally from some old lady's estate sale or one of those hospital charity stories) down there, a couple club chairs, a nice painting or two, Tiffany-style lamps, retire down there for after-dinner cocktails when friends are over...and we can all stare at the ****ing washer and dryer and the giant blue tank of Kirkland-brand fabric softener on the shelf above them.

So my plan is to build a panel, cover it in the same paint or wallpaper as the rest of the walls, put the same base trim on it, maybe affix a framed painting to it, and have it slide to cover either the laundry area or the entire bar. The goal isn't to make it 100% imperceptible, but just make it blend enough that you can easily forget it's there. And I can put a decently-strong drop rod on it, both to hold it in place and so I can slip a padlock through it for when my girls are in their mid teens and might be tempted to raid the liquor shelf.

In a way. The one end of my basement looks like this:

ibe07X1.png

The washer/dryer niche was a closet with standard scissor doors, but we bought a new set of LG's when we moved in - they stuck out an inch further than the ancient washer & dryer, which resulted in the scissor doors having to go.

When the bar's done, I want to put an old Queen Anne-style sofa (ideally from some old lady's estate sale or one of those hospital charity stories) down there, a couple club chairs, a nice painting or two, Tiffany-style lamps, retire down there for after-dinner cocktails when friends are over...and we can all stare at the ****ing washer and dryer and the giant blue tank of Kirkland-brand fabric softener on the shelf above them.

So my plan is to build a panel, cover it in the same paint or wallpaper as the rest of the walls, put the same base trim on it, maybe affix a framed painting to it, and have it slide to cover either the laundry area or the entire bar. The goal isn't to make it 100% imperceptible, but just make it blend enough that you can easily forget it's there. And I can put a decently-strong drop rod on it, both to hold it in place and so I can slip a padlock through it for when my girls are in their mid teens and might be tempted to raid the liquor shelf.
That's quite a story you made up. We all know you are gonna be growing some weed and need a secret room!

That makes sense and I think a couple of tracks just like mine might be just what you need. You can join multiple tracks together and it sounds like you would need to. For example:
Barn-Door-Pic-0807135-700x525.jpg

That's quite a story you made up. We all know you are gonna be growing some weed and need a secret room!

That makes sense and I think a couple of tracks just like mine might be just what you need. You can join multiple tracks together and it sounds like you would need to. For example:
Barn-Door-Pic-0807135-700x525.jpg
Nah, I grow my weed in a shed on the roof so the smell can just waft right ou- I fear I've said too much.

Two tracks would work, and the price isn't terrible. Appreciate the info!

so close to officially closing the basement project. Just have to close off the sump pump and do some paint touch ups.
I may need to take a little break after that before I get back to the cellar....wife has been soloing the house and kids for like a year now.

What is this **** that you're distracted from building your cellar because your busy with a bowling alley. Man, I really made some bad life choices.
Well the bowling alley will be in the guest estate. :D I was kidding about the bowling alley since the butcher block looked like a lane from the photo angle.

And now the post you've all been wait for.....

I did some painting!
kOtwkz7.jpg

After an unexpectedly difficult search, I found a mill selling white oak at a decent price (Lowe's/HD only sell red oak which I strongly dislike for unknown reasons). I'll be buying the lumber I need to build the bottle racks soon and then will get to work.

Looks good Brubaker! Have you ever worked with white oak? It's not the most difficult wood to work with in the word, but it can be a little contrary for someone who never has.
I've never really done anything with it.....Or any wood really :D

I'm not doing anything fancy. Just ripping to length, making coves for the bottles to sit in, and then joining the racks to the legs.

What sort of issues might I run into?

I've never really done anything with it.....Or any wood really :D

I'm not doing anything fancy. Just ripping to length, making coves for the bottles to sit in, and then joining the racks to the legs.

What sort of issues might I run into?

Just make sure you have very sharp blades and take your time.

Spent some time over the last week earning my white oak merit badge. Went to the mill and picked out plenty of wood. It was harder than I expected to find boards to suit my need, but I managed. Then I set to work ripping them to my desired width (bought a ripping blade for the table saw and that made a yuuuge difference after the general purpose bladed dulled and started burning everything). I decided that I'd use 2.5" for the back boards and 1.75" for the front. After that I had to cut the coves for each bottle. Finally got that all done today. I used a 5" hole saw to get the radius I wanted for the back and then a 1.5" forstner bit for the front. Only 192 of each!

Here's a pair of the nearly finished boards to show you what I'm going for. I'm going to leave them rough cut since I really like that look. I'll give em a light sanding to remove the fur and roundover some edges.
n4U7aWL.jpg

The forstner bit held it's edge for about 180 of the holes and it was slow going after that.

Here's a pic of my garage shop:
hVMyCYO.jpg

Next I get to cut a ****-ton of pocket screws.

But my ass of a wife will complain about every paint color like it's the biggest deal. I can't live in a house with beige walls OMG.
LET'S NOT BUY THIS OTHERWISE PERFECT HOUSE BECAUSE OUR CURRENT COUCH WILL NOT FIT.

This project is ****ing great, Brubaker. But outside of the fun of the work, is there why didn't you just get pre-made wine racks and cut them to size?

LET'S NOT BUY THIS OTHERWISE PERFECT HOUSE BECAUSE OUR CURRENT COUCH WILL NOT FIT.

This project is ****ing great, Brubaker. But outside of the fun of the work, is there why didn't you just get pre-made wine racks and cut them to size?
I want to know why the racks are so far apart. Are you storing jerobaums in there or something? It looks like you could fit at least 50% more in there if you wanted to.

Also, looking at them up that high is making me anxious, I have to remind myself that not everyone lives near fault lines...

Latest posts

Back