Starting Over/Catching Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belmont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm returning to brewing after a 3 year sabbatical. I lost just about all of my equipment over the moves and such so I'm starting from scratch. I won't be a beginning brewer and have used most advanced techniques and equipment. I'm looking to save space and more importantly make for the easiest/quickest brew day possible. I liked the speed and ease of batch sparging when I was doing it before. Should I spend a load on a sculpture, sabco, RIMS, the new EasyBrew from Blichmann, or just piece things together? What have I missed in terms of equipment and or process over that time? If you were to start from scratch and could spend a decent amount without being wasteful how would you build your brewery?

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

If money was not a concern I would assemble an electric brewery inside. I have a 3 tier gravity set up on the porch. It is too cold for me (glad I don't live in Minnesota) during the winter so I have done a few extract brews this winter.

I prefer doing all grain.

I live in Texas where the weather is very hot most of the year. Standing around a boiling pot for hours with an open flame is far from an ideal experience. I thought I remembered there being drawbacks to electric heating but I dont remember now. I wonder if it alters the wort in ways that direct flame does not. Seems like it would certainly be more efficient.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

I went electric BIAB. It doesn't get much simpler than that, One Keggle is all you need. With electric, and a recirculating pump, there is no need to hover around your beer while it is brewing. I just set 2 timers , one on my control panel the other on my iphone, and go do something else.

One more thing guys. It may not be a problem but I remember in the early days being surprised by timing and almost screwing things up because I didn't sanitize something before it was supposed to be used for example. Does anyone know of a step by step walk through including specific gear used to make sure I don't forget anything my first time back on it? I'll probably start with one all extract batch and one mini mash before trying biab.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

One more thing guys. It may not be a problem but I remember in the early days being surprised by timing and almost screwing things up because I didn't sanitize something before it was supposed to be used for example. Does anyone know of a step by step walk through including specific gear used to make sure I don't forget anything my first time back on it? I'll probably start with one all extract batch and one mini mash before trying biab.

BeerSmith will allow you to print your brew steps. Within that, you could write "SANITIZE" where you should sanitize. It does give you a first step of cleaning everything first, but if you think you need a constant reminder, get BeerSmith, print the brew steps, write the word big and bold and continue. That would be my recommendation for you.

Although I highly recommend buying the print version, this will walk you through your extract batch:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Back