Starting Over... Been A Long Time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugel

Reaction score
Hello Good Homebrew Folks,

I live down near Tallahassee, FL.

Many years ago - I think maybe about 30 years ago - I got into Homebrew and brewed a few good batches of Pale and Amber Ale. I enjoyed it, but life has a way of changing your priorities - children, job change, moving, etc.

Anyway I'm starting over, sort of from scratch, except that I do still have about 8 containers of Malt Extract - 4 pale, 4 dark: enough to make ~ 40 gallons - that I have kept in a cool dark place and never opened. We opened one and we used some of it for "syrup" and "sweetener" in making bread. I have kept it in the refrigerator for all these years and it is still good, no off-flavors, or mold, etc. So, I'm hoping that other stuff is still good - no swelling of the containers or smells from the box - we'll see.

Anyway, I've lost my notes from all those years ago, and I don't remember when to add the flavoring hops - I used Cascade pellets. I don't really like much bitterness in my beer, so I think I just stirred them into the hot wort and let it cool down to proper temp, before transferring to the primary fermenter and pitching the yeast (Safale US-04).

Anyway, a friend and I are looking into getting a couple of Corny Kegs and using them for fermenting, carbonating and decanting. I need to get a new CO2 bottle and TapRite Regulator, hose and either pin or ball connectors, depending what type Corny Kegs that we purchase.

So, that's where I am, now.

Good Brewing and God Bless!

Kugel

First welcome back. I can attest first hand to starting over again. I would suggest you start by looking at your gear and make sure everything is good. Next I would not use those for anything but breads now. 30 years even in a cool dark place is a very long time for LME to sit around. Also the extracts of today are vastly superior than the ones of 30 years ago. Honestly you'll be better off with all fresh ingredients.

Welcome back, but please start with fresh ingredients. There is so much information available on here, and YouTube and other online sources that can help you over any bumps in the road. The beginners forum is great too.

Welcome back @Kugel
My self, I'd make one batch of beer with that old stuff. Maybe a small one though, say 2.5 gal just to see if it's any good. You wont be out much if it's not and it might just end up drinkable. I'm sure it wont be as good as beer made with fresh new stuff but then you would know, first hand, the difference between them. It would also be a great chance to share the results with us.
Good luck what ever direction you choose, :mug:
Joel B.

Thanks all. Hope this doesn't violate any rules, but I just bought a special - one refurb Racetrack Keg, ball lock (l assume 5 gallons.) + One primary co2 regulator with barb fittings, ball/check valve, hoses and ball lock couplers for gas and liquid, one party tap with hose. $117 delivered!! Keg Connection has that deal through the end of this weekend.

Also I added a second Corny/Firestone Keg, two bubblers and a 32oz bottle of sanitizer.

Still want to get a co2 bottle and some Safale US-05 yeast. Already have everything else.

WooHoo! Looking forward to getting started.

Good Brewing and God Bless!

Kugel

Didn’t see if it was LME or DME.

I wouldn’t, for a second, think of using 30 year old LME. Do yourself a favor, get off to a positive start and use fresh ingredients.

DME holds up better to time but 30 year old DME? Nope, I wouldn’t use it either.

Didn’t see if it was LME or DME.

I wouldn’t, for a second, think of using 30 year old LME. Do yourself a favor, get off to a positive start and use fresh ingredients.

DME holds up better to time but 30 year old DME? Nope, I wouldn’t use it either.
👍 Thanks for your reply. I think I'll try one batch as an experiment. I don't think it will make me sick. Might not taste great but, we'll probably drink it anyway. I'll report the results on the Beginners Brewing forum.

Good Brewing and God bless!

Kugel

Welcome back to the madness we call a hobby. If it were me I would toss the 30 yr old extract. Brewing a batch of beer is a labor of love that can be very rewarding when it turns out good. But a bad batch that isn't drinkable leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And has a negative impact on your enthusiasm to put that much work into trying again. Sounds like you are serious about starting over. Obtaining new equipment is a major step in getting ready to make great beer.

There is a ton of information on HBT and the web. Everything from equipment, ingredients and processes are readily available to you. Take your time rebuilding your brewery and ensure it will work for you for many years to come. There is a vast array of new products and processes available today. Do your research to determine the path you want to pursue.

Happy brewing.

Welcome back to the madness we call a hobby. If it were me I would toss the 30 yr old extract. Brewing a batch of beer is a labor of love that can be very rewarding when it turns out good. But a bad batch that isn't drinkable leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And has a negative impact on your enthusiasm to put that much work into trying again. Sounds like you are serious about starting over. Obtaining new equipment is a major step in getting ready to make great beer.

There is a ton of information on HBT and the web. Everything from equipment, ingredients and processes are readily available to you. Take your time rebuilding your brewery and ensure it will work for you for many years to come. There is a vast array of new products and processes available today. Do your research to determine the path you want to pursue.

Happy brewing.
While I can't argue with your logic, this is a bit different. Going in with known questionable ingredients isn't like brewing with the hope you are making a award winning beer. I don't think there is any delusion about this turning out with less than stellar results.
With just a couple oz.'s of fresh hops , a new pack of dry yeast and a little time is all that's invested.
With that said, I would open the LME first on brew day and if it had any signs of being bad I would stop the experiment right there.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I think I'll try one batch as an experiment. I don't think it will make me sick.
As long as there’s nothing obviously wrong, like mold, you shouldn’t get sick.

Although I stand by my opinion to buy fresh ingredients, if you are going to brew with what you have, perhaps consider an Amber to brown beer that you don’t mind being oxidized and overly sweet. I’d also go very light on any caramel/crystal steeping malt, your degraded extract will likely offer a significant amount of those flavors. Good luck and report back.

I'll report the results on the Beginners Brewing forum.
For what purpose? We already know the outcome.

If you're curious about the color of the extract, in one of the "extract darker than expected" discussions, you will find a technique for evaluating the quality of LME. It requires a couple of ounces of OG 50 wort (doesn't have to be boiled) to visually measure the actual color against the original color of the extract.

Back