Starting Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-Ooo

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been brewing for about a year and have been bottling. I just got a great deal on some kegs and kegging gear. I am going to build a kegerator from an upright fridge.
Right now I own:
4- 5 gallon ball lock corny kegs
20 lb CO2 cylinder
Dual gauge regulator
2 way gas manifold (no shutoff valves)
Upright fridge
1 tap w/ handle
1 liquid ball lock

I want to start with 1 tap that I already have and leave room to grow as I can fit all 4 keg in the fridge.

I am going to buy.
1-4 1/2" nipple shank
10' 3/8" ID 5/8" OD PVC gas line
10' 3/16" ID 5/16 OD PVC beverage line
2- shutoff valves 1/4" MPT X 1/4" MFL
Faucet & hex nut wrench
2 liquid ball locks
2 gas ball locks
1 picnic tap (so dispense 2 kegs at once and to push out star san)

Is there anything I'm overlooking. Are my line sizes ok. Any input would be much appreciated

Steve

For ball lock connectors, I strongly prefer flare fittings over barbed fittings - to me they are easier to clean and manage, and it lets you swap hoses around.
It is often considerably cheaper by the foot to buy a 50' roll of line once than to buy multiple 10' sections.
I eventually wound up biting the bullet and buying a 4 body secondary regulator with shutoffs and check valves. Pricey, but even more so when I factor in the difference between what I paid for the multiple other regulators I used and then sold before going with the big one. 90% of the time they are all at about the same pressure, but the ability to adjust each keg individually is very nice.
Stainless forward-sealing faucets are basically a must. The cheaper rear-sealing faucets will get sticky if not used very often. Again, pricey, but doing it right the first time is cheaper than doing it twice.

Thanks I'll definitely look into it. I'm trying to keep it relatively inexpensive for now so I I'm not considering a secondary regulator right now but ill definitely look at flare fittings instead of barb and I'll look for line in bulk.

I ordered the flare fittings and gas and beverage line in bulk 50' plus the other miscellaneous I needed to get my 1 tap kegerator going. I'll put off ordering any taps or a secondary regulator for a while. I don't usually have time to keep for 4 kegs full right now anyhow.
I may use the 2 way splitter to keep a gas line outside the fridge in the future and get a secondary regulator or 4 way manifold inside for 4 kegs when I'm ready to upgrade. Any issue with this.
Thanks for your input!

Back