starter wort weird stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapbrew13

Reaction score
What's the goober things at the bottom of the jar? I pressure cooked wort for future starters. Boiled water, cac03, yeast nutrients, ferm cap then pressure cooked. Thanks in advance.

ForumRunner_20110723_222304.jpg

ForumRunner_20110723_222318.jpg

Looks like trub to me. Did you use finings (irish moss/whirlfloc)? This is typically how my innoculated wort looks when the cold break falls out in the first hour or two, before fermentation begins.

vitrael said:
Looks like trub to me. Did you use finings (irish moss/whirlfloc)? This is typically how my innoculated wort looks when the cold break falls out in the first hour or two, before fermentation begins.

No whirfloc or finings. Looks like nasty floating fat solids.

I'm not sure mate. When I make starter wort, I just use water and DME, never yeast nutrient or minerals, so those might produce some differerent appearance if they are not totally dissolved. That's one hypothesis.

The other is infection. I would just go by smell--if it doesn't smell like normal wort, I would probably dump it, re-examine your process and start again.

Just proteins. I always have them when I pressure cook my starter jars. If you don't want them you will have to boil the wort and then rack off the trub. Then pressure cook. I don't like the trub in there, but I don't like the idea of doing all the work for a batch of beer, just to jar it up and save it. So, if you are lazy, you won't care either.

Might also be some of the precipitate boiling out.

Yooper said:
It's break material- looks like hot and cold break. Hot break looks like egg drop soup goobers, and cold break is a bit larger.

Thanks all. Mysteriously appearing goober problem solved.

Even if you boil the wort and siphon off the hot and cold break after it settles, more solids will form after pressure cooking temperatures. If you really want trub free wort, you need to pressure cook the whole batch and cool it, then split it up into jars and process a second time. You really only need trub free wort for test tube starters and when making agar for slants and plates, though.

Latest posts

Back