Starter trouble / infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jybingbrew

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter about 4 days ago but couldn't brew as planned. Put it in the fridge with a foam stopper and took it out to pitch tonight. Seeing a few white floating things, so I am worried about infection.

Not sure how clear these pics come out, but should I be worried about this? Would anything "good" be floating after 4 days in the fridge?

20151117_175736.jpg

20151117_175724.jpg

It will probably be fine. I've had some yeast starters that continue to ferment even after putting them in the fridge to crash. Those Yeasty Boys are as tough to put down to bed as a toddler some times ( ;

I decided it didn't look troublesome enough to be an infection and decided to decant and pitch. We will see how it goes! I'll post back results.

It did get me thinking though, is a foam stopper sufficient protection for extended storage in the fridge? Seems to be varied opinions like most things.

Back