Starter that didn't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashbyp

Reaction score
I made a starter from a smack-pack bavarian yeast yesterday. 1 litre of water boiled with 100g of LME. Pitched at around 18 degrees C, and temp has been around that through the night.

18 hours later and nothing has happened. No krausen, no bubbling of the airlock... I can see a layer of yeast (actually just looks like a different colour wort) at the bottom of the jar, but that was there almost immediately after pitching.

By the way, the yeast itself didn't swell up very much in the packet after I smacked it - a bit - but since this is my first liquid yeast I have nothing to compare. I left the yeast 4 hours after I had smacked it before I opened it.

Is there anything I can do validate that the yeast is active, or should I just try again with new yeast (after I've ordered it :( )

Cheers for any advice to worried beginner.

I don't think 18 hours is enough time to tell if the yeast is viable on not. If the pack swelled (even if not all the way) I am inclined to think it will be OK.

Was the smack pack an activator or propagator pack? Propagator packs will take longer.

If you are not already give it a stir as often as you can.

OK - I'll leave it longer then. If nothing by tomorrow then I'll panic again.

It was a propagator type...

So still no action in the starter. I guess the fact that the packet did not really swell too much was a good indicator that there would be problems. This has put my off liquid yeast somewhat. I'll get some Saflager dried stuff instead.

I have the same problem, but I used a wyeast liquid (lager), I'm at 30 hours and no activity on the air lock. I'll give the pail a swirl and see if that changes the situation, if not....I'll repitch and caulk it up to a bad batch of yeast.

Mine was also wyeast, WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager to be precise.

As you say - I'm putting this down to experience.

Things I may have done wrong:

* didn't wait until the packet swelled enough before pitching. I waited 4 hours and very little happened [the packet said pitch after 3, so I figured what the hell].

* I did aerate, but maybe not enough

* I didn't use any yeast nutrient (ie: didn't add any to the cooled wort)

Dried yeast is a lot less hassle!

Very true dry yeast is easier. Unfortunately they have only a few dry yeasts available. I would imagine that you would have seen activity by now if the yeast was active.
I would let your HBS know that they sold you "dead" yeast. Did you guys look at the date on the yeast?

ashbyp said:
Mine was also wyeast, WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager to be precise.

* didn't wait until the packet swelled enough before pitching. I waited 4 hours and very little happened [the packet said pitch after 3, so I figured what the hell].

That's what I was thinking. I usually have the starter materials ready to go, then smack the pack and ignore it. When it swells way up I sanitize the scissors and package and pitch into the starter.

I feel for ya; $7 liquid prices are non-trivial. I have always been a yeast scavenger/batchsplitter/reuser, but I'm about to kick it up a notch and do the culturing thing. Got most of the gear collected to start doing slants. I am sure the wife will be thrilled. She rolled her eyes when I started hacking old PC parts to make a stirplate last night...

Sometimes starters ferment out completely, and I've never even seen it happen. One thing I do if I'm unsure if it fermented is just check the SG of the starter. If it's low, it's done.

Yeah - tonight is my starters last chance before it gets dumped down the sink. I'll check the gravity first.

Thanks for answers guys.

sak3358 said:
I have the same problem, but I used a wyeast liquid (lager), I'm at 30 hours and no activity on the air lock. I'll give the pail a swirl and see if that changes the situation, if not....I'll repitch and caulk it up to a bad batch of yeast.

Not to jump into this thread but we were talking starters? Are u talking your primary fermentation? And with a lager yeast? Did u use a starter and if not do not repitch!!! lager yeasts will take up to 72 hrs to get going..have patience man!!!!

Also wait until the smack pack is nice and smelled before u put it into your starter..this is to insure the yeast is viable..if you have a vial than do as yooper said if you see no activity check the gravity..my bet is that it fermented out over night and u missed all the fun..

Jay

No worries....found the air lock working overtime yesterday morning. One more reason you should have a brew and forgetaboutit

Rather embarrassingly (since I've read so many threads about people worrying about stuck starters/fermentations in general), my starter kicked in last night also - so we're talking about 50 hours after I pitched it.

So, I am going to build it up once more and then use it this weekend. Lessons learned :)

Mind you, this has delayed my brew day by a week, you gotta be flexible when using liquid yeast, it seems.

Back