Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklojay

Reaction score
Was planning on doing a lager tomorrow night and making a starter for it tonight. I was expecting to make a 1 gallon starter tonight, cold crash before brewing and decant the water, then pitch on the cake.

Got the yeast on my way home and according to mr malty the viability date (jan 11) requires a 1.17 gallon starter with two viles (i only have one WLP#830).

I have 3 lbs of DME. Should I just make a 2 gallon starter tonight or make a small batch (3 gal) with the 3lbs of DME and pitch on that cake?

What? WLP viability date is jan 11? (1/11???) Don't they post the expiration date on the tube? If that is 1/11/12, then it should be about 6 months old if IIRC. So date it on Mr. Malty as 9/11/11 making it 6 months old and very weak.

Anyway, You should make a 500ml starter and then maybe a 3L. It will take about 4-6 days or so. Can you do another batch 1st and make this next week when you have the goods?

What? WLP viability date is jan 11? (1/11???) Don't they post the expiration date on the tube? If that is 1/11/12, then it should be about 6 months old if IIRC. So date it on Mr. Malty as 9/11/11 making it 6 months old and very weak.

Anyway, You should make a 500ml starter and then maybe a 3L. It will take about 4-6 days or so. Can you do another batch 1st and make this next week when you have the goods?

Sorry, to clairfy the "good until" date is may 11, 2012 (I subtracted the four months)-->1/11/12. I was thinking about a two staged starter and brew next weekend. my target SG is 1.056--->a 3L will be enough?

Check here:
http://www.yeastcalc.com/

I get 1 and 2 with a stir plate and 1 and 3 with shaking. Give yourself at least 5 days and let it ferment each time for at least 40-48 hours (this morning to tomorrow night).

24 hours between steps is plenty of time to achieve maximum growth, as long as you ferment fairly warm, around 70-75 degrees.

Latest posts

Back