starter, pass or fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
I made a starter with Wyeast 1056 last night. its in a beaker, but i dont have a stir plate. when i got home from work today there was a layer of stuff at bottom of beaker. there was very little bubbling goin on. I swirled it for about 3 minutes. how do i know if I have a viable starter? how often should i stir the mixture?

Stir every chance you get.

Check the gravity of the starter to ensure your yeast did something and didn't just fall out because they are dead (unlikely).

Starters don't take long, so it's probably just done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did you make your starter? DME to water ratio? Volume? Is there any visible fermentation activity on the flask (krasen)? Fermentation could easily be complete depending on your OG. Typically you should swirl it as often as you can. I would say if you followed good sanitary practice, you're likely ready to pitch after you pour off the spent wort.

When did you pitch the yeast?

When you say 'beaker' do you mean an Erlenmeyer flask like a lot of people use?

How big of a starter did you make? Total volume? How much extract did you use? OG of the starter?

Back